Very urgent. I-485 just filed and need to travel out of the country

ssa38

We filed for I-485 a few days ago and yet to receive receipt notice. Now due to urgent family situation my wife (who has an H4 until June 2007) needs to travel outside the country at a short notice. My lawyer told me that its safe to travel once receipt notice is received. However that may take 3-6 weeks.

Do you see any issues with this travel plan? Any impact to I-485? Please suggest alternatives if there are issues.

You can travel without a problem

ssa38 said:
We filed for I-485 a few days ago and yet to receive receipt notice. Now due to urgent family situation my wife (who has an H4 until June 2007) needs to travel outside the country at a short notice. My lawyer told me that its safe to travel once receipt notice is received. However that may take 3-6 weeks.

Do you see any issues with this travel plan? Any impact to I-485? Please suggest alternatives if there are issues.

Hi ssa38,
If your wife has a valid H4 stamped in her passport (and passport has not expired) she should be fine traveling in-and-out of US. While entering back she can just use her H4 to get in.

And in the meantime if you receive the I-485 receipts, you can ask you attorney to make a copy of them, attest it and fax it to your wife. Just to be on the safe side.

I hav a question,

I'm a Green card holder and im planning on travelling out of USA for a period of time that can last from 8 to 12 months. Does it mean that i hav abandon my status?

GL