• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Very important information for AOS in DV2006!

Sergio1101

Registered Users (C)
I am a PhD student in the US. My case number: 2006EU3xxx. I have applied to my local BCIS for Adjustment of Status. However, my application was returned to me without any consideration. According to their explanation, I still NEED to send forms DS-230 to KCC and wait for the interview with them. Only after this interview my local BCIS will consider my application for AOS. These instructions contradict to the instructions from KCC. After that I have called to KCC. They confirmed that I do not need to send them these forms. The circle has completed! :mad: As a result, BCIS does not want to process my application while KCC does not want to have DS-230.
Does anyone have more successful AOS?

Which local office did you applied? Dv based I-485 supposed to mail chicago lox box not local office. Mail it again to chicago Lox box.

After you send DSP-122 (you dont have to send DS-230)to the KCC, they send you a letter saying that you can file for AOS. Did you include such letter with your AOS application?

vk96 said:
After you send DSP-122 (you dont have to send DS-230)to the KCC, they send you a letter saying that you can file for AOS. Did you include such letter with your AOS application?

Yes, I did. There was a letter from KCC saying that "Thank you for informing us that you are applying for AOS... Please, include this letter when filing your AOS application ito your local BCIS..." :eek:

Do I need to get from KCC any additional evidence that my number is "winning"? Maybe, the Alien registration number (so called A-number)? Anything else? :mad:

tak2 said:
Which local office did you applied? Dv based I-485 supposed to mail chicago lox box not local office. Mail it again to chicago Lox box.

I was instructed to apply in my LOCAL BCIS in all instructions which I have got from KCC (by phone, by e-mail and in my congratulation package). And I have applied to my local BCIS in El Paso (TX). However, they rejected :confused: to accept my application and DID NOT KNOW :eek: where I should file it. After 1-2 hours of waiting for their response in the El Paso BCIS, they informed me that they THINK :eek: that I should file my AOS application to Texas Service Center :mad: But it seems that Texas Service Center does not consider such type of application either... :confused:

Are you sure that I need to file my application to Chicago regardless where I am living in the US? It is written in the instructions to I-485 that people from New Mexico (where I am from) should not file their applications to Chicago... Anyway, could you give me the filing address, please?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sergio, it seems like all the I-485-s have to be mailed to the Chicago lock-box, which will forword it to your local office. That is what the instruction say on the new additional cover page that print with the form.
Check this out:

"Form: I-485, Application To Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status

Number of Pages: 11

Edition Date: 10/26/05. 4/22/05 version also accepted.

Fee: $325 plus $70 biometrics services fee if you are 14 years of age or older. If you are under 14 years of age, the fee is $225 with no biometric services fee. If you are 79 years of age or older, the fee is $325 with no biometrics services fee.

Please consult the "Paying Fees" section of your local office or Service Center page to learn which forms of payment are accepted. Acceptable forms of payment may vary by office.

If you are applying for permanent residence based on having been admitted to the U.S. as a refugee, there is no application fee; however, applicants age 14 - 79 will still need to pay a $70 biometrics fee.

Where to File:
Effective December 1, 2004, if you live in Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming, as well as the District of Columbia, Guam, Puerto Rico, and the Virgin Islands of the United States,

you will need to mail your application to:

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
P.O. Box 805887
Chicago, IL 60680-4120

Or, for non-United States Postal Service (USPS) deliveries (e.g. private couriers)

Attn: FBASI
427 S. LaSalle – 3rd Floor
Chicago, IL 60605-1098
Effective April 1, 2005, if you live in any of the following states Alaska, California, Idaho, Iowa, Kansas, Maryland, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Oregon, Texas and Washington,

you will need to mail your application to:

P.O. Box 805887
Chicago, IL 60680-4120

Or, for non-United States Postal Service (USPS) deliveries (e.g. private couriers)

Attn: FBASI
427 S. LaSalle – 3rd Floor
Chicago, IL 60605-1098
"

And also go here http://uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/i-485.htm and open the form itself which has a cover page. print that out and it is all self-explanatory.

Good Luck!

it is very strange what happeneds with sergio case. I am also phD student and i am doing AOS. I went thorough chicago, my case was forward to MSC. thsese guyes in El Paso (TX) simply do not kinow what they are doing !

hi

I am here with a J1 visa and so far I know taht the AOS can be done at the local USCIS office.
I went there and they gave me the forms and they told me to bring them there.
I hope next time they will not say otherwise.

Good luck
afraid

Thank you for the Chicago address. The problem is that this address is shown in the section "Family-based applications". Do you think it works for DV-based applications either? Besides, it is not clear from the instructions of I-485 where I should file this form if I am from New Mexico.

Sergio1101 said:
Thank you for the Chicago address. The problem is that this address is shown in the section "Family-based applications". Do you think it works for DV-based applications either? Besides, it is not clear from the instructions of I-485 where I should file this form if I am from New Mexico.

This link may be helpful to you.

http://a257.g.akamaitech.net/7/257/2422/06jun20041800/edocket.access.gpo.gov/2004/04-25679.htm

If you are so confused you better hire an experienced immigration lawyer.