very good news for asylees and refugees in Florida

Gilbert

The Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles has made the decision to change its policy and will treat refugees and asylees as permanent immigrants. This means that they will be issued a normal license or ID card.

The State hopes to effect this policy later this week.

:)

where did you find this info? I mean is it published somewhere I can print out? Because I'm not sure the lady (supervisor) at my local DMV has a brain at all, she's so stubborn and doesn't want to hear anything else that's not printed in her little guide-booklet.

The information was communicated late last week to lawyers who objected to the earlier policy. I understand that they are drafting new guidlines now. Hopefully there will be a press release to the public soon.

Be patient.

that's true

I went to my DMV in FL this friday to renew my state ID, they gave me 4 year regular ID, just like the one they give to permanent residents.
Just wanted to let you guys know that they've become a liiiitle better at DMV :) no questions asked, just wanted to see any evidence of my asylum status i.e. letter granting asylum, 1-94 or whatever (not the work authorization card though, because that has an expiration date on it and they have to go by it, doesn't matter if you show them the new memo reg. asylums not needing a work permit).

Glad to hear this, Ginger_anna.

In Florida, do NOT show the DMV people the EAD.

As an example, if you are applying for asylum, they will issue you a two year license if you submit a BCIS receipt of your asylum application. But if you show them the EAD, your license expires with your EAD.