V SORRY for posting non140 related but immigration related qs

registrationid

Registered Users (C)
Please: Urgent help required! H1 stamping in Chennai / Mumbai
================================================
The H1 stamp on my passport shows my old H1 status and displays an expiry date of April 2002 (first 3 yrs). I moved to a new employer in Mar 2002 and have a new I-797A and I94 document which is valid till Feb 2005.
I would be travelling to India in July 2004.
Since the stamp in passport has expired and shows the old H1, I want to get a new stamp.
Further complicating the situation, my iNDIAN passport was renewed in US and passports have addresses of Mumbai and US respectively. Finally, the objective of the trip is to take care of business in Chennai andmy family has moved to Chennai from Mumbai. The duration of the trip will be for only 14-17 days.
QS:
1. Do I go to Chennai counslate or Mumbai counslate for the stamp?
2. If I have to go to Mumbai counslate, will they raise objections when I ask them to mail the stamped passport to Chennai and raise technical objections and ask me to go to Chennai since my residential contact is in Chennai now?
3. ON THE USCIS web site and the counslate web sites, the ONLINE APPOINTMENT SYSTEM HAS the foll question:
"Applicant has an H1B / L1 visa (and is renewing visa in the same category), which expired no more than a year before current application."
3a. Do I fall under the "expired visa" category?
3b. If I am classified under the "expired" visa category, whats the step and direction I would be under?
4. How long does it take to get the passport stamp in Chennai right from the time the passport is submitted to the authorities?
5. How long does it take to get the passport stamp in MUMBAI right from the time the passport is submitted to the authorities?
6. Is drop-box service "the only" medium for visa stamping available in Chennnai? Is there is no walk-in appointments?

Thanks in advance.

Mumbai it is

You will have to go to Mumbai consulate since ur. previous stamping is from Mumbai. New passport doesn't matter. take both passports staples together. I suggest you call Mumbai consulate from here before taking an appointment and ask them where should you go and do the same in Chennai if Mumbai consulate staff asks you to go to Chennai. Your India address matters only when you are getting it stamped for the first time.

It doesn't matter if you give postal address of Chennai and go to Mumbai consulate for stamping. Since you are on H1 here this means you don't maintain a house in India so you can get the passport at any relative's place you want. Just make sure you urself. are around to take the delivery as they won't give the passport to anyone else.

In the expired category, I am not sure, but you would chose the section that allows those applicants to get visa whose previous visa stamp has expired for more than a year. These applicants cannot use the drop box, that is why the consulate is making sure of that.

No clue on Mumbai stamping timeframes. Better check the H1 forum for that.

Best of Luck for ur. stamping.

will_get_there

There is no option in the online scheduling system for visa that have expired for more than 1 year and since i hve a valid 797 and 94, am not sure if I fit under the expired category.