Using Old Passport

NYC400

Registered Users (C)
Can you at anytime after becoming a citizen use your old passport to travel out of the USA???

They will for sure ask for your status and most likely ask for a US passport. Otherwise for most of us it would appear that we may be illegaly in the country. Remeber, they have to look for people who have broken the law whenever they have a chance. So , leaving US without showing US passport will be almost impossible as you do not have your green card and no I-94 to show that you are legaly in the country. This is just my speculation, theoretical, I do not know if somebody has tried this and what has happened. But for sure, the bottleneck of the process would be to show your status in the US.

YOu can use you old passport to travel out of US but a US citizen has to use a US passport to enter US, no exceptions.

nkm-oct23 said:
YOu can use you old passport to travel out of US but a US citizen has to use a US passport to enter US, no exceptions.

If you are a US Citizen, the law requires that you must enter and leave U.S with a US passport (this includes people who hold dual citizenship).

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.cbp.gov/ click on Q & A

This states that you need a passport when you are travelling FROM outside the western hemisphere. Doesn't say anywhere that you need a US passport while departing US.

JoeF said:
INA 215(b):
"(b) Except as otherwise provided by the President and subject to such limitations and exceptions as the President may authorize and prescribe, it shall be unlawful for any citizen of the United States to depart from or enter, or attempt to depart from or enter, the United States unless he bears a valid United States passport. "
http://www.richw.org/dualcit/law.html#Passport lists a couple of exceptions, one is indeed for adjacent countries in the Western Hemisphere, like Canada and Mexico.

That is what I thought. Although, US allows dual nationality they are primarily concerned with US status only. So once an American for them, you are only an American and nothing else. Other citizenships you may have mean nothing to them and they are disregarded. Leaving US requires showing documentation of legal US status, if you are US citizen than you have to show and prove the same.