Use Notice of Action I-797 to get California Driver License?

pillowfight

Registered Users (C)
Use Notice of Action/Approval I-797 to get California Driver License?

Hello! My mom and I mailed in our AOS/EAD packages last month, finally, after waiting twelve years for our Priority Date to become current. (Family 4th Preference: my mother's brother is a USC and he petitioned for her in 1993) Hooray! :)

Anyway, I would like to get my California driver license as soon as possible. On the California DMV website, it says an acceptable form of proof of legal presence is "Notice of Action (I-797 Approved Petition)".

I have a couple of questions:
1) To the DMV, is there a difference between Notice of Action or Notice of Approval? One is I-797c and one is I-797.

2) When we get our Notice of Action/Approval will my name be listed on it as well? (On the original Notice of Approval for our I-130, my name was not listed, but I am a beneficiary of my mom's.)

3) If my name is on the I-797 Notice of Action/Approval, would this enable me to get my license?

Being a 19 year old living in Los Angeles without a license really sucks! :p Thanks so much in advance for any information or help. I really appreciate it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Delay in getting Drivers License in Ca

Last year I moved from NewYork to LosAngeles Area, CA
I485 approved: Sep 30 2004
Got my Green card to my CA address in Oct 2004

I Applied for CA Drivers license on Nov 24,2004. DMV personnel punched on expiration date on my NY license and gave me a temporary license.
So far I've not yet recieved my license Id card. its more than 8months I'm on Temporary license. When ever I called DMV they say they've not yet recieved any proof confirmation from Department of Homeland Security.

Since its more than 180 days they advise me to followup the Main office @ sacramento. Per request of DMV personnel @ Sacramento I've faxed the Copies front and Back side of my GreenCard same on May 14th and followed after 3 weeks. But its still in verification. Last week when I called they advised me to fax the copy with image in large size which I did.

Its real frustating for me. I did appy for update on my Social Security Card. SSA was able to verify my status within 2 weeks and I got the replacement Card within 3 week. But I dont know why its taking so long for DMV of CA to verify status with INS.

Can any one let me know if they had similar experiences

hi, i was curious to find out if you ever got your drivers license. i am came here when i was 8 years old, we just stayed when our visa expired. So when our visa expired we filed the 245i with the i130 and just a week ago we received our notice of action i797.

i was wondering if i can use the i797 to get my drivers license, just like your situation.

Also, my name isn't on it, my mom's name is. I am the beneficiary of my mom, proven through a copy of our i130 petition.

Did u receive your drivers license?

Please tell me about your experience.

What did you bring to the dmv?

Thank you

concerning that same, exact senario

did you apply for your drivers license using the i797 approval letter, if so; please explain to me what happened; and/or; what i need when going to the drivers license place

-would really appreciate it-
thank you-

Di you realise these posts you are replying to are all nearly 5 years old - it's unlikely the posters still frequent these boards.
I'd suggest you start a thread with any questions you may have.