USCIS Director Gonzalez Testifies on Building a 21st Century Immigration Service

futureuscitizen

Registered Users (C)
Link to the document

take a look at this paragraph

USCIS has demonstrated that it is capable of putting the increased revenue to good use and that the public and USCIS’s customers will see concrete benefits from the new fee structure. I am pleased to report to the Subcommittee that, with the infusion of $460 million in appropriated resources over the past 5 years, USCIS was able to achieve the President’s goal of a six-month or better processing time for nearly all immigration applications. By the end of FY 2006, the backlog had fallen from a high of 3.8 million cases in January 2004 to less than 10,000. The proposed fee rule will allow USCIS to build on this success and further reduce processing times allowing us to better serve our customers.

"Less than 10,000" - is that true. ? So I must be the rare unlucky ones to be in that number.

Their definition of backlog is *very* narrow. For example, name check cases don't count (since someone in name check is not being held up by USCIS processing, but by FBI processing).

As far as I could they somehow decided that my case was outside of their backlog numbers. In my case, they mis-routed my file right before my interview causing the interview to be "descheduled". That was enough to get me off the fast track and put my in the slow pile. It took another nearly 6 months of my efforts to get them to reschedule the IV.

I believe the guideline is "if we processed the case in 6 months or less then it counts towards our goal - if not it doesn't". The 10,000 cases are the ones that they couldn't quite track well enough to make that guideline.

But, after having been in the process for more than a year, I have to give them some credit, "normal" case processing is much faster now than it was in lat 2005 or early 2006.