USC/OCI applying for PAN card from the US

JPBoston

Registered Users (C)
Has anyone applied for their PAN card from the US and could you detail your experience? I know you can do it directly with the NSDL or the UTIITSL websites or some third party vendors. I thought of doing it directly with probably NSDL. Looking at the application form brings back bureaucratic joy I haven't seen since, oh, I applied for my OCI. Some questions:

1. How do you know what your AO info should be? I assume that means tax assessing officer in India but how do you know which one applies for you? I might just go with the default one if I cannot figure this out.

2. What do the Area Codes W or C mean in the AO section?

3. How did you go about getting the demand draft (DD) if your US bank does not have a Mumbai branch? They ask for a DD payable in Mumbai.

4. They also say they need to receive the full applications with supporting docs and DD within three weeks of the application acknowledgment date. I guess getting the DD would be the logical first step before even submitting the application online because that is the longest pole here.

Thanks!

JP

I think there is a default code for International applicants, you might want to try it.

When clicking on the AO info link for International applicants, in classic babu fashion, they present a long table of completely unfathomable and unexplained options. Am I supposed to choose some option closest to my hometown in India? What does W or C mean? The only saving grace is that they say you can choose the default AO code: DLC-C-35-1 if you do not know what your AO code is. I guess that is what makes logical sense here.

When clicking on the AO info link for International applicants, in classic babu fashion, they present a long table of completely unfathomable and unexplained options. Am I supposed to choose some option closest to my hometown in India? What does W or C mean? The only saving grace is that they say you can choose the default AO code: DLC-C-35-1 if you do not know what your AO code is. I guess that is what makes logical sense here.

Don't understand why the AO crap should even be there. And the form, it opens in a browser window which has NO backward/forward controls.

The form looks like it was designed by a deranged monkey on dope.

Don't understand why the AO crap should even be there. And the form, it opens in a browser window which has NO backward/forward controls.

Agreed!

The form looks like it was designed by a deranged monkey on dope.

This is insulting to monkeys ;) Just a deranged babu says it all!

I decided to use the services of NRIInvestIndia because the idiots in the Indian bureaucracy make it very difficult for someone to apply directly on their own:

1. You need a demand draft that is payable in Mumbai and this is a pain if you're like me and your US bank does not have a Mumbai branch.

2. They also expect you to get some notarization or apostille something of all your supporting docs from the Consulate General of India. The CGI charges you fees to do this. I saw someone post elsewhere that his application was rejected because he did not have this done.

A friend of mine got his PAN card using the NRIInvestIndia folk and he said it was well worth it. I also read other online posts from people who were happy with their services. I'll let everyone know how things turn out with them.

I decided to use the services of NRIInvestIndia because the idiots in the Indian bureaucracy make it very difficult for someone to apply directly on their own:

1. You need a demand draft that is payable in Mumbai and this is a pain if you're like me and your US bank does not have a Mumbai branch.

2. They also expect you to get some notarization or apostille something of all your supporting docs from the Consulate General of India. The CGI charges you fees to do this. I saw someone post elsewhere that his application was rejected because he did not have this done.

A friend of mine got his PAN card using the NRIInvestIndia folk and he said it was well worth it. I also read other online posts from people who were happy with their services. I'll let everyone know how things turn out with them.

If you still maintain an address in India, and have a phone or utility bill in your name, you can apply on your next visit to India and have the card mailed to India address. That will save you a lot of paperwork hassles.

If you still maintain an address in India, and have a phone or utility bill in your name, you can apply on your next visit to India and have the card mailed to India address. That will save you a lot of paperwork hassles.

Yeah my place back there is where the parents live but I've nothing in terms of phone or utility bills. I figured to get this done from here so that I have it on hand when I visit the motherland next time.

You can use credit card. You will be charges Rs.5 extra over the application processing fee (Rs. 5 is gateway fee for processing your credit card), I used same when in India as I hate going to bank and post office and waiting in queue.

Yeah my place back there is where the parents live but I've nothing in terms of phone or utility bills. I figured to get this done from here so that I have it on hand when I visit the motherland next time.

Really the name of the pan application should be PAIN APPLICATION, after doing all this the verify registration
Please enter alphabets and digits only and Characters are Case Sensitive.
and there is nothing there in the box.

Attachments

• 1-Fullscreen capture 3112015 111647 AM.jpg
    1-Fullscreen capture 3112015 111647 AM.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 2
Really the name of the pan application should be PAIN APPLICATION, after doing all this the verify registration
Please enter alphabets and digits only and Characters are Case Sensitive.
and there is nothing there in the box.
Did you try other browsers to see if it made a difference?