USC Application for Minor Son

gabbar007

Registered Users (C)
I and spouse have applied for N-400 and are hoping to be citizens in a few months. What do we do (and when) to ensure that our Minor Son gets USC?

-g

If your son is a minor, a permanent resident and lives with you, he will become a USC when the first one of you takes the oath of citizenship.

You can apply to get him a passport immediately after you (or your spouse, or both) get your naturalization certificate (by the way, even though they don't ask for it on the passport form/instructions, include your marriage certificate in your son's passport application - they came back to us during the processing and asked us to send it).

However, I believe that you cannot apply for two passports at the same time with a single naturalization certificate.

You can also fill in an N-600 right after your oath ceremony. That application takes a copy of your naturalization certificate, making life a little easier. N-600 processing takes a long time (late June, 2006 until now, so far). It also costs a couple of hundred dollars. The advantage is that your son gets a permanent "Citizenship Certificate" (unlike a passport that expires).

N-600s are much easier to fill out than N-400s - it should be easy for you.

Good luck

Thanks Flydog and NewlyMinted. So I understand it correctly, I could (after one of us becomes Naturalized) just apply for a Passport for him, without even applying for N-600?

My plan is to relocate to India soon after getting USC (for a few years), would not having a Certificate of Citizenship (but will have US passport) cause any later problems, if he choses to come back to US say when he is no longer a minor, what would he need to do at that time to get Certificate of Citizenship.

Can I apply for N-600 from India, for my Son? I would like to have the Certificate of Citizenship for him, but dont think I can wait that long here in the US after getting my USC.

-g

Yes, you can apply for a passport without an N-600 application. Your son doesn't "need" a certificate of citizenship at all, a passport is considered proof of citizenship.

However, should his passport ever expire, there's some point where the old passport cannot be used as proof of citizenship for a new passport. At that point, he'd have to get your (or your spouse's) documents and go through the hassle of proving "inherited" citizenship. That's the value of filling an N-600 -- the citizenship certificate is something that he can keep forever as persistent proof of his UCS-ness.

I believe he can fill in an N-600 at any point in his life (after he hits 18 -- before that you (or your spouse) fill in and sign the form). Don't know if you can do it from India -- check the instructions.

There is an "interview" associated with an N-600. I believe it is basically "swear an oath to tell the truth and then show the originals of all the documents whose copies you included in the application". I'll post my experience once we get to that point (then again, my wife beat me to naturalization by several months so the N-600 is in her name -- I may not be in the room :) )

Hope this helps