USC and H1B holder - marriage in India vs in US

scheruvu

Registered Users (C)
I am a US citizen engaged to an Australian national (of Indian origin) currently here on H1B. We are getting married through a traditional ceremony in India next month. We also plan on registering our marriage in the US at some point.

My question is - is it better to get our marriage registered before or after our trip to India? My fiancée is in the process of applying for her own employment-based GC, but is currently retrogressed by a few years. I might consider applying for her as alternative on marriage grounds. My understanding is that registration is not required in India and a ceremony alone is legally recognized in the US. So would where we first got married impact the future marriage-based application?

Last edited by a moderator:
Since she has an H1-B which allows dual intent, you can marry anywhere. It won't change a thing.

I am a US citizen engaged to an Australian national (of Indian origin) currently here on H1B. We are getting married through a traditional ceremony in India next month. We also plan on registering our marriage in the US at some point.

My question is - is it better to get our marriage registered before or after our trip to India? My fiancée is in the process of applying for her own employment-based GC, but is currently retrogressed by a few years. I might consider applying for her as alternative on marriage grounds. My understanding is that registration is not required in India and a ceremony alone is legally recognized in the US. So would where we first got married impact the future marriage-based application?

My question is - is it better to get our marriage registered before or after our trip to India?

No difference. Just don't register it in both the US and India.

My understanding is that registration is not required in India and a ceremony alone is legally recognized in the US.
A ceremony alone is NOT legally recongized in the US. The US govt. will require a marriage certificate.