US relaxes H-1B norms for students

psathishreddy

Registered Users (C)
I read this in Samachar.com. It was in HindustanTimes news paper. Does anyone know if it is true. I tried www.ins.gov for more informaiton but could not find any. Please let me know if you know any more information on this issue .....

News Paper Extract

Washington: The US Congress has passed a reforms bill, which exempts 20,000 foreign students, who pass out of universities in the country with Masters or doctorate degrees, from the annual cap on 65,000 H-1B visas given to foreigners seeking work in America.

The move would benefit several thousand students, including from India, who failed to figure on the list of 65,000 H-1B visas issued this year.

The legislation was sponsored yesterday by Senator Saxby Chambliss and co-sponsored by Senator Lamar Alexander, both Republicans.

The reforms bill exempt up to 20,000 Masters and Ph-D graduates of US universities from the annual 65,000 H-1B cap. "These workers comprise best of the best among the highly skilled professionals that are critical to US companies," Chambliss said.

"The bill ensures we build our competitive strength and keep jobs in the US," he said.

Satish

Even though it is signed by the President, do you think it will take effect this year ... or is it effective for next year ....

satish

psathishreddy said:
Even though it is signed by the President, do you think it will take effect this year ... or is it effective for next year ....

satish

It will be effective 90 days after President Bush signs it. He is expected to sign it in Dec, 2004.