US Passport for Children below 18

SKATLANTA

Registered Users (C)
Do both parents need to complete naturalization process before applying for US passport for a child below 18? I am aawaiting oath ceremony and my wife has interview scheduled in one and a half month's time.

Thanks

No, only one parent is fine. Please google for Child Citizenship Act of 2000 to get all the details. The child has to be under 18 and have a green card. Which I assume your child has.

You probably should consider applying for a certificate of citizenship as backup. It is not needed for your child to obtain citizenship, it is just proof. However, the cheaper, easier and faster proof of citizenship is the passport. However, the certificate might be useful to avoid some hassles from agencies that don't understand that there is a class of citizens who derive naturalization through their parents and don't have US birth certificates or any other proof of citizenship, except the passport. Some agencies expect to see a certificate of naturalization or of citizenship.

By the way, it seems that Canada requests children born abroad that are looking to obtain a passport to obtain a certificate of citizenship first. Perhaps the US will end up doing something similar. I hope not. I think we already have more than enough bureaucracy.

You probably should consider applying for a certificate of citizenship as backup. It is not needed for your child to obtain citizenship, it is just proof. However, the cheaper, easier and faster proof of citizenship is the passport. However, the certificate might be useful to avoid some hassles from agencies that don't understand that there is a class of citizens who derive naturalization through their parents and don't have US birth certificates or any other proof of citizenship, except the passport. Some agencies expect to see a certificate of naturalization or of citizenship.

By the way, it seems that Canada requests children born abroad that are looking to obtain a passport to obtain a certificate of citizenship first. Perhaps the US will end up doing something similar. I hope not. I think we already have more than enough bureaucracy.

Huracan,

What agencies can ask for the certificate? Can the kids get the certificate in a few years? or it's something that either they get right now or lose the opportunity.

Thanks