US new immigrant wants to enter Canada

gunarp

Registered Users (C)
Hi everyone,
My sister is a US citizen and she has sponsored my parents for US immigration. I am a Canadian landed immigrant. My parents got US immigration stamp in India and they are landing next month in US. Right now they have just the immigration stamp on their passport and not the physical green card. US green card is I think good enough to enter in Canda but my doubt is whether this immigration stamp on passport suffice to enter in Canada. B'se actual green card will be coming by post once they land & apply and it takes 5-6 weeks and I don't want my parents stay at my sister's place for such a long time. I hope you understand my point. Pl. advice what should they do? If they require Canadian visa then what documents they need from my side???
Thanks again.
Arp

Here's another question:
- if the I551 stamp for temporary green card in the non-US passport is valid, but the passport itself has recently expired - would this be a problem in entering Canada and reentering the US?

In other words - can you travel to Canada with Expired non-US passport and a valid ( non-expired ) temporary I551 green card stamp in it?

thank you for your help!

echosen said:
Here's another question:
- if the I551 stamp for temporary green card in the non-US passport is valid, but the passport itself has recently expired - would this be a problem in entering Canada and reentering the US?

In other words - can you travel to Canada with Expired non-US passport and a valid ( non-expired ) temporary I551 green card stamp in it?

thank you for your help!

A valid passport is a requirement to enter any foreign country, including Canada.