US Citizen re-entering difficulty

Valerie79

Registered Users (C)
I became a US citizen last August. I once was on a removal proceeding due to staying more than one year out of the states. Removal proceeding was terminated by the immigration judge. After I became US citizen, I made 5 brief trip to Asia and Europe for tourism purposes. Each time I return to USA with my US passport, I was send to secondery check by USCIS officers. When I asked them what is the purpose of this, since I am a US citizen. they told me that this is just a procedure. They have to do this.
Can anyone tell me how I can take care of this since it is bothering me too much. Everytime i enter the USA i spent too much time in the immigration.

Wow! This is very strange. Can you give us more details about WHAT the secondary "USCIS" officers do/say to you? BTW, are you sure they are "USCIS officers" and not US Customs? Big difference.

So much for being "free" from the grips of USCIS after becoming a USC (if what Valerie79 is saying is actually accurate :))!

The passport police are sending me to secondary check before the custom clearance. They are asking the exact same questions what passport police ask. How long did you stay out of states for your vacation. What is your adress in the states etc... Then they stamp my passport like nothing is wrong. When i ask them why am i being brought here, they tell me this is just a procedure and nothing they can do. They once told me that I should contact USCIS headquarters and i go through custom.

So much for being "free" from the grips of USCIS after becoming a USC (if what Valerie79 is saying is actually accurate :))!

This has nothing to do with USCIS. This is just a normal procedure enforced by Homeland Security. I have seen this happening with many people. The secondary check is usually extremely straight forward.

valerie...

...probably looks suspicious. Are you travelling alone ? :). And in the age group of 18-40 ? Travel very frequently outside the usa ?

My Father goes thru same deal.But the strange thing is it happens to him only at one airport.If he flys in JFK or NJ .They dont take him into secondary.It is the system that flags you evrything they run your passport thru.He adjusted his status from G visa to permanent residence.I think he said he called/wrote to State Department to correct this issue.Its really no big deal.But I know it is hassle.:eek:

This has nothing to do with USCIS. This is just a normal procedure enforced by Homeland Security. I have seen this happening with many people. The secondary check is usually extremely straight forward.

Dude, seriousely - think about it - Valerie79 goes through the same BS evetime he/she enters the U.S. Do you think something is triggering the secondary check? Hello! I do, and I definitely think there's something in his/her profile that's triggering it. As you know, the DHS/US Customs computers are probably all wired and share all sorts of info...... otherwise how else would they be able to so efficiently nab wanted people and other fugitives at the port of entry?

BTW, the USCIS reference was more in jest than anything else :rolleyes: ...... USCIS is like a noose around your neck - before USC the noose is fairly tight but not uncomfortable......during the N-400 process, it become tight and uncomfortable...... and finally after oath, it's so loose that you don't even know it's there. And then suddenly, they jerk it just to let you know it's still there.:D

Dear Valerie - How was it determined that u were out of the country for more than 1 year? Thanks.

Probably your profile makes it look suspicious - Once was on removal proceedings, in last 7 months 5 "brief" trips to Asia. Could be a potential drug runner or what ever the computer program flags for a closer look. Most people who would be out of the US during green card presumably without a re-entry permit for over a year, would not be going overseas 5 times for "tourism" purposes to Asia (and Europe). Would you yourself not think it a bit weird and have some one in secondary inspection check it out?

I became a US citizen last August. I once was on a removal proceeding due to staying more than one year out of the states. Removal proceeding was terminated by the immigration judge. After I became US citizen, I made 5 brief trip to Asia and Europe for tourism purposes. Each time I return to USA with my US passport, I was send to secondery check by USCIS officers. When I asked them what is the purpose of this, since I am a US citizen. they told me that this is just a procedure. They have to do this.
Can anyone tell me how I can take care of this since it is bothering me too much. Everytime i enter the USA i spent too much time in the immigration.

I was sent for secondary check. They told me that becuase my ex-wife took protection order against me that is why they want to know if she was travelling with me or not ? I found that very strange. stupid protection order was issued 6 months ago, without any police complaint or any incident. she just felt like taking it. Officer told me that every time I come back from overseas I will have to do the secondary check.
Can any one explain what is going on.

The passport police are sending me to secondary check before the custom clearance. They are asking the exact same questions what passport police ask. How long did you stay out of states for your vacation. What is your adress in the states etc... Then they stamp my passport like nothing is wrong. When i ask them why am i being brought here, they tell me this is just a procedure and nothing they can do. They once told me that I should contact USCIS headquarters and i go through custom.

Hello Valerie:
I suggest you file a complaint with DHS TRIP at this web site. Good luck.
http://www.dhs.gov/xtrvlsec/programs/gc_1169676919316.shtm

Dude, seriousely - think about it - Valerie79 goes through the same BS evetime he/she enters the U.S. Do you think something is triggering the secondary check? Hello! I do, and I definitely think there's something in his/her profile that's triggering it. As you know, the DHS/US Customs computers are probably all wired and share all sorts of info...... otherwise how else would they be able to so efficiently nab wanted people and other fugitives at the port of entry?

BTW, the USCIS reference was more in jest than anything else :rolleyes: ...... USCIS is like a noose around your neck - before USC the noose is fairly tight but not uncomfortable......during the N-400 process, it become tight and uncomfortable...... and finally after oath, it's so loose that you don't even know it's there. And then suddenly, they jerk it just to let you know it's still there.:D

Dude, you just didn't get my point. Getting naturalized is not the Holy Grail that would get you off the hook for everything. There are many things in relation to the security of this country that are applicable to anyone living in this country - citizen or not. Since you are in the process of naturalization, you should understand that the US constitution is applicable to everyone living in this country regardless of whether you are a citizen or not. Since security is an integral part of safe existence of any country, it is equally applicable to anyone entering at the port of entry.

Is there something on the original poster's profile to trigger it everytime? I have no idea - but it may very well be. But that has that got to do with "...getting free from the grip of USCIS"?

They are certainly monitoring at the border for people who travel to certain countries and/or travel too frequently. They are likely to be called up for secondary inspection. Once you are determined to be suspicious, I guess the label sticks on you.