US citizen now....OCI question

priag

Registered Users (C)
Hi all,

Finally became a US citizen after 17 months. Now the next date with bureaucracy.

I changed my name as part of my naturalization. I would appreciate any
pointers/experiences as to how I should approach this when I file for my OCI. I posted it in the OCI forum, but i guess not many people visit that forum.

Thanks a lot
priya

ND Apr 10 2006
FP May 2x 2006
IL May 2007
OD Sep 19 2007
Applied for US passport regular service on Sep 20 2007.

Hi all,

Finally became a US citizen after 17 months. Now the next date with bureaucracy.

pointers/experiences as to how I should approach this when I file for my OCI. I posted it in the OCI forum, but i guess not many people visit that forum.

Thanks a lot
priya

ND Apr 10 2006
FP May 2x 2006
IL May 2007
OD Sep 19 2007

Hey Priya,

I also had my name changed through naturalization recently. I applied for OCI with my NEW name. I included everything you would normaly include in OCI application + notarized name change certificate.

My OCI application just changed to "Registration : Granted" today. I haven't actually gotten the sticker and stuff yet, but I assume it will go through just fine.

Hope this helps.

Hi all,

Thanks a lot
priya

ND Apr 10 2006
FP May 2x 2006
IL May 2007
OD Sep 19 2007

Priya,
Believe it or not, the "next date with Bureaucracy" is not going to be as painful as the first one. Although, I didnt have my name changed or anything during naturalization process, still, I found the process of obtaining OCI to be very painless and transparent.
Good Luck ..

Hi all,

FP May 2x 2006
IL May 2007

do you know why it took so long for you to get IL? Which office did you apply, service center and District office?