US citizen applying for spouse living abroad?

ahacali

Registered Users (C)
Hello,

I just became a US citizen and plan to apply for my wife who is living abroad (Philippines). We have been married for 1 1/2 yrs. My wife and I decided to wait till I became a citizen and then apply for her, as that would be the fastest route. I have a few questions:

1. Is this the right message board to post this question? If not, can someone please send me the link where I should make this post.

2. From my browsing the USCSI site, I should apply I-130 and G-325A to get an immigrant visa for my wife for her to come to US. The G-325A form
(pdf document) has four forms in it. Do I need to fill just one of them or all of them, basically one set of four for me, and one set of four for her?

3. How long does the I-130 take?

4. Once the I-130 is approved (or granted), how long after that can she get a visa to come to US?

5. Can I apply I-485 for her now (same time I apply I-130), or I can only do that once she comes to the US?

6. Any other forms I should apply now, or get ready to apply?

7. Is it worthwhile to apply a K-3 visa (form I-129F) for her? I have been hearing hte wait time for K-3 approval is much longer than a I-130, so making the K-3 of not much use.

Any pointers that has more info on the USCIS website would be very helpful. Thank you very much in advance.

Regards,
Aha.

ahacali said:
Hello,

I just became a US citizen and plan to apply for my wife who is living abroad (Philippines). We have been married for 1 1/2 yrs. My wife and I decided to wait till I became a citizen and then apply for her, as that would be the fastest route. I have a few questions:

1. Is this the right message board to post this question? If not, can someone please send me the link where I should make this post.

2. From my browsing the USCSI site, I should apply I-130 and G-325A to get an immigrant visa for my wife for her to come to US. The G-325A form
(pdf document) has four forms in it. Do I need to fill just one of them or all of them, basically one set of four for me, and one set of four for her?
You fill 4 pages of the G-325A and your wife fills 4 pages. That makes it two sets of G-325A for the I-130.

3. How long does the I-130 take?
Since you are a USC and you upgraded your I-130, it probably would take 3-6 months (Processing times vary)

4. Once the I-130 is approved (or granted), how long after that can she get a visa to come to US?
Once I-130 is approved, she needs to make an appointment with the nearest US embassy for consular processing.

5. Can I apply I-485 for her now (same time I apply I-130), or I can only do that once she comes to the US?
I-485 is for change of status and is to be used only if applicant is present in the US and applying for immigration. It does not apply in your case

6. Any other forms I should apply now, or get ready to apply?
Look at the links below

7. Is it worthwhile to apply a K-3 visa (form I-129F) for her? I have been hearing hte wait time for K-3 approval is much longer than a I-130, so making the K-3 of not much use.

Any pointers that has more info on the USCIS website would be very helpful. Thank you very much in advance.

Regards,
Aha.

Look here for more info
http://faq.visapro.com/Consular-Processing-Nonimmigrant-FAQ.asp
http://www.americanlaw.com/consul_iv.html
http://www.hooyou.com/consularprocess/index.html