URGENT: Unable to send passport for stamping in time

siddharthmn

Registered Users (C)
Hello all,

My lawyer informed me on Friday, December 8, that the Canadian authorities want my passport by December 20 for stamping the PR visa. While this is great news, I am not in a position to comply with this request, as I am leaving for India tomorrow for a month. While there, I will be applying for a new H1 visa stamp at the US consulate, so I will need my passport.

I have asked my lawyer to request a 30-day extension until I return from India. Have anyone else on the forum faced a simillar situation? Is there a risk of the Canadians refusing the extension?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Siddharth

siddharthmn, I had requested CIC for an extension because while on vacation in India, my wife fell ill and she could not fly back with me to the US. When I returned to the US, I immediately sent CIC a fax informing them the situation and requesting extension of time to mail our passports. However, they never replied back, so I faxed the same document 2 - 3 times and there was no reply. By then I had given up and I was ready to accept the fact that I lost my Canadian PR opportunity. To my surprise, one month later I received a call from CIC informing me that they had received the request and they have given me a 6 months extension. They did make sure I understood the fact that they receive thousands of emails and faxs, and its hard for them to respond back to every request in time. If I were you, I would fax CIC immediately informing them about your situation. Good luck.

Thanks to both of your for your responses. My lawyer has faxed CIC a letter explaining the situation, and said we will hear from them only if there is a problem. So far, it's been quiet from their end.

I'll be back in the U.S. in mid-Jan. Hopefully, it will work out.

Thanks,

Siddharth