Urgent Question: I-140--> Little short experience in 1 skill out of 7

bcmandal

Registered Users (C)
My approved PERM Labor had requirements like: MS + 3 years experience in SQL Server Administration, C/C++, Visual Basic, Java, C#, HTML, and ASP.

I have a total of 13 years experience after BS degree (8 years after MS degree). Out of this 13 years, last 3 years is with my current employer. If I do not count any experience from current employer on that language, I have little short experience in one programming language C# (item no 5 below). All other skills are more than that needed.

My employer is a State University and I got my labor approved in 10 days. My Lawyer says, my I-140 may be in trouble as one of the programming language (C#) experience is less than 3 years. Is it true? If so, please advice me what I can do for it.

A. Following is my skill wise expreience breakup (not counting last 3 years)
=======================================================

1. SQL Server : 5 years 4 month
2. C++ : 7 years
3. VIsual Basic : 5 years 4 month
4. Java : 5 years 4 month
5. C# : 2 years
6. HTML : 5 years 4 month
6. ASP : 5 years 4 month

B. Following is my skill wise expreience breakup (including last 3 years exp):
========================================================

1. SQL Server : 8 years 4 month
2. C++ : 10 years
3. VIsual Basic : 8 years 4 month
4. Java : 8 years 4 month
5. C# : 5 years
6. HTML : 8 years 4 month
6. ASP : 8 years 4 month

Thanks for your time for reading this.

My approved PERM Labor had requirements like: MS + 3 years experience in SQL Server Administration, C/C++, Visual Basic, Java, C#, HTML, and ASP.

I have a total of 13 years experience after BS degree (8 years after MS degree). Out of this 13 years, last 3 years is with my current employer. If I do not count any experience from current employer on that language, I have little short experience in one programming language C# (item no 5 below). All other skills are more than that needed.

My employer is a State University and I got my labor approved in 10 days. My Lawyer says, my I-140 may be in trouble as one of the programming language (C#) experience is less than 3 years. Is it true? If so, please advice me what I can do for it.

He could be right...could be....

To me I think it is IGNORANCE... he could have pointed it out before PERM so 'SOME EXPERIENCE' might have worked for 'C'.... I hate it when we pay premium price and hire these so called professionals and then law bites us back because they didn't do the home work.

Get a second opinion....

Based on what you said looks like you had worked for the previous employer after MS for about 5 years. Most of the experience reference letters go like this:

XXX worked as a Software Engineer, from [start date] to [end date] in our department A. During this period he was involved in the requirements, design and development of applications using [skill1], [skill2], ......

If you have your experience letter issued in this format from the previous employer with start date and end date, which will cover for 5 years, you should be able to get through the 140.

On the other hand if you have each skill listed with duration for each of them then it becomes tricky. I would try to get the experience letter from the earlier company with common duration, which would include employment start and end dates, and then list out all the skills with responsibilities.

Based on what you said looks like you had worked for the previous employer after MS for about 5 years. Most of the experience reference letters go like this:

XXX worked as a Software Engineer, from [start date] to [end date] in our department A. During this period he was involved in the requirements, design and development of applications using [skill1], [skill2], ......

If you have your experience letter issued in this format from the previous employer with start date and end date, which will cover for 5 years, you should be able to get through the 140.

On the other hand if you have each skill listed with duration for each of them then it becomes tricky. I would try to get the experience letter from the earlier company with common duration, which would include employment start and end dates, and then list out all the skills with responsibilities.

another_fella,

Good point. If , BCMANDAL, your credential in PERM application and/or experience letter were not very specific, date and time etc..., then you should be ok.

But If your 'C' experience is on the record as 2 year on PERM application and/or in your experience letters then you may have an issue .....

Thanks for your analysis.

I have worked in with 5 different companies and all these experience letters say a common start time and end time (not separate time period against each programming language) with a total list of skills I used in that company. For example: Company A's letter says : 2 yrs exp with C++, Java, VB and ASP; Company B's letter says: 1 years exp with C++, SQL Server, Java and HTML.... Company C's letter......etc.)

I have added all those skill wise time length from all these experience letters to compare 3 years experience in all 7 programming languages.

C# experience is counted from only two certificates (1 yr + 1 yr)= 2 yrs

Will it help you advising me better?

Oops... that nullified my assumption that you worked for one company in those 5 years.

You may want to get opinion from another attorney and see what he/she has to say on it and go from there.

Thanks for your analysis.

I have worked in with 5 different companies and all these experience letters say a common start time and end time (not separate time period against each programming language) with a total list of skills I used in that company. For example: Company A's letter says : 2 yrs exp with C++, Java, VB and ASP; Company B's letter says: 1 years exp with C++, SQL Server, Java and HTML.... Company C's letter......etc.)

I have added all those skill wise time length from all these experience letters to compare 3 years experience in all 7 programming languages.

C# experience is counted from only two certificates (1 yr + 1 yr)= 2 yrs

Will it help you advising me better?