Urgent Query: is SSN required for H1B Extension

ranjeetsingh16

Hi,

I have H1B and have followin plans:

Landing in the US: 9 July, 2013
H1B due to expire: 30 July, 2013

Query 1: Can I file H1B Extension without Applying for SSN?

Query 2: Can I file H1B Extension after applying for SSN and before I get the same?

Query 3: is it OK to fly in such a condition when visa expiry is left by less than 30 days?

Actually, SSN application will be extension only when the SSN office has I-94 details which would take almost 7 days to reach.
and after that it will take approx 2 weeks to get ny SSN no. which means I will not be left with any time to file the extension.

This is my first travel to the US. I have valid work permit and LCA from the employer.

Regards,
Ranjeet

Is your H1 visa sticker on your passport expiring on 30 July? If so you don't need to file extension just for expiring visa. When you arrive in US you will be normally given an I-94 document for 3 years or the duration of H1 petition (as specified on your I-797 H1 approval notice from USCIS) which determines how l ong you can remain in US in H1 status. A visa is needed only to catch a flight into US.

Hi Ranjeetsingh,

Kindly let me know what happened to your case... Even my the same way and when you applied your SSN with which documents.

Thanks
Mullivendan