Urgent Q on 864

chakroo

Registered Users (C)
Hello All
I am in a weird situation right now. I am a USC and just started to file the application for my wife for greencard. However, I was affected by a reduction in workforce at my company and am now without a job. Currently I am looking for one.
The dilemna is that on I-864 I have to provide proof of employment which I cannot give now. However, I have the last 3 yrs returns and also can show recent paystubs and bank statements with sufficient funds. Do you think the application will be accepted for now or it can be rejected for lack of employment letter. Based on severance etc. my paystub does show that my YTD income exceeds the the minimum reqd for this year.
I am really confused. There is a section in 864 that asks for employment status and in there i can say unemployed since Feb 2006 which is very recent

Other q I had was that I have not filed 2005 taxes yet as there is still some time and I need to work on some details. Can I submit this with tax returns of 2002, 3 and 4. I can provide the W2 for the current tax year which is 2005.

Appreciate your help on this.

rajiv

You don't need your tax returns for the last 3 years, one would be enough. And, since it is time for filing taxes for 2005, it would be better if you wait and send them your 2005 tax return. But, if you can't wait, then I guess it would be OK to send the 2004 one and the W2 from 2005.
The fact that you're unemployed now, does matter. I think, they would want you to have a joint sponsor.