Urgent....Please help

VIKNJ

Registered Users (C)
Urgent....Can we claim unemployment benefits on EAD

I have been on bench for last 6 months now. I have not recieved any pay for last 4 months. I have an EAD card. Recently someone told me that I can claim unemployment on EAD. I called up the unemployment office in NJ and got myself registered.

I wanted to know that if I claim unemplyment benefit will it have any effect on my GC process. I will not be paying any taxes till the end of the year.

One of my friend told me that his sister has claimed unemployment benefit on EAD as dependent and their GC also got approved. So , is it only that the dependent can claim benefits and not the principal applicant ?? I don't know how long it is going to take for the GC approval. My RD is 10/12.

Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't think of unemployment benefits if you're serious about GC

I am sorry to hear about your job. But you might be inviting trouble by claiming unemployment benefits when GC is in progress.

Try to put your resume on all the job sites and be ready to work wherever the job comes at whatever salary/rate they offer. Also, try to speak with your GC sponsoring employer about your new job search and get his support in continuing your GC process.

Wish you goodluck!

Its ridiculous

who the hell advised you to claim for unemployment while your GC is in process..

Recently i heard about a case wherein an already just green card approved fellow got the cancellation notice of his Green card when he applied for unemployment in his second month of premanent residency..

so dear friend dont do this kindda stupid mistakes..as it will also effect other guys....