URGENT - my friends father's last wish is to go to india

bhavoo

Registered Users (C)
dear desis, I know this is not the right place to post this but I am still doing this. Please excuse me. We are pushed against the wall here.

My friend's father is visiting him and he was daignosed with cancer. This is on top of diabetes ,kidney failure and heart and
blood pressure problems. He had insurance from kaiser. Today doc's said that he has few days to weeks. His last wish is to go back to india. We are doing everything we can but we need help
in terms of some information

1) does anyone out here know what is the best way to evacuate
him out of this country and safely to india. We know we need
medical clearance to travel in such a condition. What happens
if he passes away while in flight ? we are told that airline will
simply ask them to get down at first stop along with the family
of 5. In this is case they will stranded in unkonwn country
and be very helpless.

2) are there any flights from any location in usa which land
in INDIA directly without any stops. This works becuase
he passes away in the flight atleat he will make it to
india.

3) does anyone know anybody with connections in airline's
who will not rip us off.

4) while we are doing this if he passes away we would
still like to move his body to india. now how does that work.

5) we asked to see if we can charter a plane but that is coming
out to be 100,000 atleast. Now who has that kind of money.
If I has to run a drive for that how would I even start it. Is
it even worth it? can we we even come close to 50-70k. I
think we can manage rest. Please advice.

I will post the same message in craigslist infew minutes.
Are there any other places worth trying ?

thanks,
bhavesh
650 219 6763.

2. There are flights from LA to Delhi via luftansa I think that fly non-stop

5. I will be very surprised if your drive would net you more than 1,000 $. There are a lot more causes that people can support where their money will increase the chances of life for people as compared to paying for transporting a dead body for cremation. (Sorry to be so crass but that is the truth).

Really sorry to hear about your friend's father. My deepest condolences to the family. I do wish them the very best.

Sorry to hear abt ur friend's father......

As far as taking a body from here to India used to cost around $ 10,000 about 5 yrs back.....

Air India

Try Air India, Chicago to Mumbai,

And as they are desi, they will try to help you, contact Indian High Commisioner also, he might be of help.

Yes Chicago to Mumbai there is flight I guess it still stops in London to get fuelled and clean up, and you wont have to get out of the plane.

I dont know if they ask you to get down if the unfortunate thing will happen between here and London.

I guess it will be better flying London than any other country which we are not familiar with.

I know a dead person cannot have a passport, so the airlines insist to get a death certificate from the high commissioner of the country which we hold passport. So if something should happen London is a better place to go to High Commissioner and get the certificate(They will revoke his passport) usually the Indian consulates are helpfull during thes etimes, we know a friend who had his roommate died and went thru this procedure.

But this case is different, I would suggest call Consulate in SFO they will give a better idea (may be they have seen many situations than us).

Very Sorry for your friends family.

-RM

there is a direct Toronto-Delhi flight operated by Air Canada (since Aug/Sept '03). Yes, it is *direct*, *non-stop*, and takes about 14 hrs. Toronto is very well connected to most American airports. United never began the planned Chicago-Delhi flights and all others have 2hr+ stopovers in Frankfurt/London/Zurich/Amsterdam/Paris/...

Very sorry to hear about the condition of your friend's father. Don't wait for the drive.
I'm sure you'd have already called couple of travel agents from any desi newspaper but if you've haven't please do so and find out which airline would be fastest way to reach India and also instead of waiting for them to call back, once you find out which airline, call the airlines directly, they might be able to help. They always take special cases.

Very sorry to hear about the situation.
I know that United Airlines at one time operated a direct nonstop flight to Delhi. I knew that it flew over the north pole. Why dont you try that and see if they still have that flight. It might be slightly more expensive than other flights but definetely way more cheaper than charter.

KB :(

If the Toronot flight works grab that 'coz there is nothing from the US that goes Non Stop.

The only one that would have happened would have been the United flight from Chicago but they scraped that idea post 9/11

Hi Bhavoo,

I sincerely advise, do not try to fly him. We respect elder's feelings, but do not do this. I lost my Mom last year Jan. She expired in NJ. I have worked on these details a lot.

We took my Mom's body to India and it is not a easy job. You require a great network in India to clear the body. If he falls sick more on way it is more horrific for him as well as the family. The most considerate guys for your issue is Air India. I had a great great experience with Air India when we took my Mom's body. Speak to someone Sr. there and take the advise. It takes 4,000 $s to take body there. Mostly none of the airlines allow terminally ill patients, since you will need doctor's clearance, which he might not give, since your friend's father has Kidney problems.

But still avoid taking him.

HiBuddies is right. It might be a big problem for the airline.
And they might not allow her to fly.

Airlines do fly sick people though and usually you have to pay
for 5 seats to make way for the patient.