URGENT : Is transit visa required

vg0405

Registered Users (C)
Hi:

I am travelling to India on AP. My H1 has expired and 485 still pending (no surprise there..). My flight is via Frankfurt and I am not even staying in Frankfurt. Someone mentioned to me that I need a transit visa. Is this true??

If I need to get a transit visa, I only have 2 days to do so. Please respond if you have personally been in this situation.

Regards

Transit visa needed via Frankfurt if no valid visa on passport

Yes. I have done this recently. You need a transit visa to go via Frankfurt. Search the forum using keyword "sri4gc" and click on transit visa question. The thread provides information in detail. Let me know if you need further information.

My opinion

I am in the same situation. I called the German consulate, and explained the situation to them. I was told there is no transit visa required if one has an AP. Having said that, I am not traveling through Frankfurt, but via Amsterdam, who have similar requirement. You may do well to check with the German consul directly.

more spice

Okay...let me add couple of points to it. German consulate has some specific requirement regarding transit visas. To fly via Frankfurt one needs to have a valid visa stamped in the passport unless you are GC holder or citizen.

Unless you have a valid visa stamped in your passport it is risky to fly via Frankfurt. Unfortunately, not many airport people know of AP. If anybody wants to add little bit of spice to his travel without transit visa he can do so.

Given the situation vg0405's h1 expired it is risky to fly. This is just my opinion, anyway.

I just got back from the German Consulate.

IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A VALID VISA AND ARE TRAVELLING ON AP, YOU *DO* NEED A TRANSIT VISA - EVEN IF YOU ARE NOT LEAVING THE AIRPORT.

It takes two days to get it. So if you need do get one, do not go the last day. I would recommend going atleast a week in advance

-vg0405

Glad that was cleared! :)

Strange that they are taking 2 days. I just applied for a French and Swiss visa, I got the French visa for 3 months inside of 20 mins and the Swiss visa for 4 months inside of 40 mins. Germany is the only country where they have major transit visa issues. Other European countries are much more lax!

Have a good trip, don't forget to take your 485 receipt, EVL and multiple copies of EAD/AP/EVL for your trip. You might need it.