URGENT!!! Info needed

gcmspind

Registered Users (C)
A friend's dad was visiting from India and has had a heart attack. He did not have insurance. Is there any way they can get it now to cover the expenses. Any info will be really helpfull!!!
Sorry, I know this is tracker for immigration only but I thought this is where i can get some info if someone over here has come accross anything for such a case.

Try

Take him to the state owned Hospital or the government hospital.Tell that he is visiting from India and he doesn't have Insurance. They will bill you, but you can fill out a form and ask for waiver.

One of my friend's mother had a similiar problem, they took to Hamilton, NJ Hospital and after they received their Bill, they filled out some form to request waiver, saying that the party was visiting and doesn't have Insurance.

I assume your friend's dad has already been hospitalized or has been discharged from hospital. In both the cases, just let his Dad (or mom) fill up all the forms. Make sure your friend does not fill any forms or take any responsibility. Also, put Indian addresses instead of any US addresses.

When the time comes to settle the bill (which usually takes a year or so), your mom or dad can say they can not pay the money and the bill will be sent to Collection agents. By this time, your friend's dad will be in India.

The other alternative is to hire a lawyer and dispute the bill. The lawyer can drag the bill in court for three years after which the bill is considered too old and usually hospital will write the bill off. The lawyer may ask for hefty fees. If you can persuade the lawyer, he may agree for monthly fees rather than one time payment.

Your friend must have signed a "Addivadit of Support" when sending papers for his parents to India. I am not sure how that will impact his future

These are just my thoughts and in no way a legal advice :)

Best of Luck

I heard this from another friend who experienced a similar situation with his father in law. Every hospital has somebody as counselor and they will be able to connect the patients(who are not able to pay) to some charity origanization which will foot the bill. Independent of that ,they can check with local churches .(need not be a christian to get this help).That friend did that.

May be the local country association ( like Indian association ) can also help.

Thank you!!! For all your suggestions. I really appreciate it. I will forward her all your replies. I hope something works out for them soon.

Yes hope4best is right. That is the best solution. The social worker in the hospital can help your friend with this. For people who cannot pay their bill the social workers connected to the hospital will help. But I think the parents should be admitted in their own names and not your friend as the responsible person.

sorry

i know no use in talking about splled milk but is it not prudent to take insurance instead of doing all this