Urgent!! I was laid off with a L1B, what should I do?

darinzhou

Dear friends,

I am a L1B holder for 1.5 years, and my company filed a petition to change my visa to L1A in Nov 2004. However, the company just informed me I was laid off, and my job can be extended to the end of January.

1. If I want to find a new job in US, what should I do? May my L1B be transfered to other company?

2. If I get my L1A before the end of Jan, may my L1A be transfered to other company?

3. As there is no H1B left in 2005, if I have to apply for a H1B, what should I do?

Thanks!
Darin

1. Your L1b cannot be transfered to another company. Though another company can sponsor a new L1 visa in case that company also has a relationship with the company you used to work for outside the US - just like your current L1 sponsor
2. L1a cannot be transfered, unless situation in 1 above applies
3. Always make sure you remain in valid status, otherwise leave the US. You can apply for a B1/B2 visa to bridge a period of time.

Check with an immigration attorney for the best strategy.

The entire idea of the L1 visa is that internationally operating companies can transfer employees within their organization. Other than the H1, it centers arond the companies need, not the employees.