Urgent: GC To be Couriered?

sg1973

Registered Users (C)
Hello All,
I have a question and appreciate any help on it.
My wife and I recently got our 485s approved (a week ago) and we got the approval notices as well as the physical cards as well.
My wife has gone out of USA in April and she is planning to come back end of this month. She has a valid Advance Parole with her.
I am wondering what needs to be done now. Do I need to send her the greencard by courier so she can enter using it or does she have to enter only using Advance Parole similar to the case of we not being able to send any extensions of AP to her?
My attorney's paralegal has suggested sending the card by courier as the AP is valid only while 485 is pending or when the passport needs to be stamped to get the actual card.
Could someone clarify?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
SG

sg1973 said:
My wife has gone out of USA in April and she is planning to come back end of this month. She has a valid Advance Parole with her.
I am wondering what needs to be done now. Do I need to send her the greencard by courier so she can enter using it or does she have to enter only using Advance Parole similar to the case of we not being able to send any extensions of AP to her?
My attorney's paralegal has suggested sending the card by courier as the AP is valid only while 485 is pending or when the passport needs to be stamped to get the actual card.
Could someone clarify?

She can use her AP for re-entering USA. Many have done in past, even after I-485 approvals. Technically AP becomes invalid after I-485 approval, but in general POE allows it for one time - in those cases when approval happens while travelling abroad.

On the other hand, you can courier her GC and she can use it for re-entry. But be very careful. I heard stories where passports, green cards were lost/stolen in courier - even in reliable services like FedEx, DHL or Airborne Express. In many cases the courier packets were delivered untampered, but the documents inside were taken out carefully. It will be better if you can send the card thru a reliable person.

Thanks Pralay for the info.
That is my concern too for sending the card by courier. I need to see if I can find someone to send it. One expensive alternative would be I myself go there for a week and bring her back, if there is any risk involved with other options.

sg1973 said:
Thanks Pralay for the info.
That is my concern too for sending the card by courier. I need to see if I can find someone to send it. One expensive alternative would be I myself go there for a week and bring her back, if there is any risk involved with other options.

If you don't want to take the risk of green card lost/stolen, I would recommand her to just use her AP for re-entry. As I said, many have done in past after approvals and I never heard anyone had any trouble to re-enter.

If you send the card by courier and it is stolen (small chance, but it happens sometimes for some people), she can apply for replacement GC with fee $185. That would be lot less expensive than you traveling to India to deliver her GC. Couriering her GC does not mean that it's going to be lost/stolen definitely. The lost/stolen case happen in one out of 1000 cases. All I said - be careful.

Last edited by a moderator:
True. I just wanted to be sure it doesn't get into wrong hands, hopefully not.
I guess it will take sometime for me to stop thinking somuch. what to do? I have been doing it for somany years for getting the H1/GC and I guess it will be a while before I relax:)
Anyway thanks for the info.

Have a nice weekend.