Urgent: Do I need to file I-94 form if I have GC?

niwang

Registered Users (C)
Recently I got my GC, and want to travel abroad. Do I need to file I-94 form while entering USA?

I ask this because my friend was asked to file I-94 form even he has GC. Even though the I-94 form mentions that GC holder doese not need to file I-94.

I want to know if INS issue new regulation for I-94 form.

Anyone heard this kind of things?
Thanks

I don't think so. With a GC there is no need for Arrival/departure record as you are a permanent resident.

The only reason that I could think of why your friend was asked to fill out I94 is may be he just has a Stamp in his passport and not his actual plastic card.

I am out of the country now on business and will post my results after I return in 1 week. I also just have a stamp on my passport.

Cheers

Bhidu.

Good, thanks.

Please post your experience when you are back. I am planning to travel in Aug. I also have stamp on passport, not actual green card.

Found info at murthy.com

Chat User : For a green card holder on his trip to India, is he required to fill the I-94 card? Thanks.

Attorney Murthy : Actually, at most airports, the GC holder is allowed to enter in the line meant for U.S. citizens, though it is best to check with the INS inspectors to be sure. Generally, a GC holder just shows the actual I-551 card and the INS scans it and the passport and makes an entry in the person's passport and allows the person entry into the U.S. without an I-94 card. Rather, they get an entry stamp in the passport and a notation is made on the stamp showing s/he entered on a GC. The I-94 is a nonimmigrant document.

Hi Niwang

Just came back from my trip. No questions asked , No I-94 needed. Just fill the customs form. Hope this helps. My POE was SFO.

Cheers

Hi bhidu,
That is absolutely good response. That makes me feel comfortable. My POE will be SFO too.

Thanks, :)