Registered Users (C)
Hello ,

I am a US permanent resident.
I will be going to India for a long time and will have to file
for a re-entry permit.

1) Since, I will be moving out from my apartment, what address should
I give on the reentry permit form ?
India address or a friends address ?

I will be using a friend's address for mailing purposes .

2) Do I also need to file AR-11 ?

Again, which address should I use ?

Please advise, as I need this info. urgently.

Regards,
VKAS

VKAS,
I had the same questions before I moved to India. My lawyer told me that while it is important to maintain a local mailing address for bank a/c and other official communication (proof of which could prove useful when re-entering later), you will not need to file an AR-11 to notify USCIS of your friend's US address or your international address (provided a lawyer is representing you and he will receive the receipt notice and approved re-entry permits - lawyer's address will be present in form G28). The very fact that you are applying for re-entry permit means you will leave the US and they don't need to know your intl addr unless you want them to mail it to you there.

It is best to confirm it with an immigration lawyer in any case.

--gcnotez.

Actually no lawyer will be representing me.
What about my current address, which I will be leaving in a few weeks ?
Do I need to mention it any where ?

gcnotez said:
VKAS,
I had the same questions before I moved to India. My lawyer told me that while it is important to maintain a local mailing address for bank a/c and other official communication (proof of which could prove useful when re-entering later), you will not need to file an AR-11 to notify USCIS of your friend's US address or your international address (provided a lawyer is representing you and he will receive the receipt notice and approved re-entry permits - lawyer's address will be present in form G28). The very fact that you are applying for re-entry permit means you will leave the US and they don't need to know your intl addr unless you want them to mail it to you there.

It is best to confirm it with an immigration lawyer in any case.

--gcnotez.

Re: Re-entry address

I'm not sure on this one. Best to wait for expert/moderator response. IMHO, in a matter as important as re-entry I would prefer to use a lawyer than not.

--gcnotez.