Upgrading I-130 after becoming a USC

madhuri_dhar

Registered Users (C)
I am currently on Green Card and filed I-130 for my husband which was approved last year.

I recently filed for my citizenship and hoping to get that soon. Once I become a citizen, how do I get my husband's I-130 priortized? (ie as "spouse of USC" instead of "spouse of permanent resident")

Actually is it better to just file a brand new I-130 with the rest of the other docs - I-1485, I-131. I heard upgrading I-130 could be a pain and can cause delays.. anyone with any experience?

Thanks

madhuri_dhar said:
I am currently on Green Card and filed I-130 for my husband which was approved last year.

I recently filed for my citizenship and hoping to get that soon. Once I become a citizen, how do I get my husband's I-130 priortized? (ie as "spouse of USC" instead of "spouse of permanent resident")

Actually is it better to just file a brand new I-130 with the rest of the other docs - I-1485, I-131. I heard upgrading I-130 could be a pain and can cause delays.. anyone with any experience?

Thanks
Hello, call the INS 800# they will ask u 4 ur citizenship # and will gladly upgrade ur spouse...No need to start another process..Good luck...

charchamps said:
Hello, call the INS 800# they will ask u 4 ur citizenship # and will gladly upgrade ur spouse...No need to start another process..Good luck...

Yes, it is very easy to upgrade. Just call the 800 number and give them your USC #. Check my past posts in this forum for my experience from upgrading I130 to getting the green card.

However, I would suggest that
1). upgrade I-130 via phone,
2). mail the filed I-130 (a copy of the one you filed as PR.) along with the I-485 application. Write a cover letter to indicate that I-130 has been upgraded and is pending for approval.

I did not do Step 2 for two months (I was told that I-130 upgrade would get approved in two months and I should wait to file I-485 until it was approved. What a waste of my time.) I finally decided to do Step 2 and got the I-485 interview letter BEFORE I-130 got approved. I-130 was eventually approved before the interview date and I wish I had done Step 2 sooner.

Good luck.

Thanks bigcake for your detailed response. I'll follow the steps you mentioned.. In my case, I-130 is approved though already. But I am still an LPR, have applied for N-400. As soon as I become USC, I'll call up INS to upgrade my spouse's application

I was checking my documents again to get ready to file adjustment of status for my husband as soon as i become a US citizen next month (when my citizenship interview is scheduled).

I had filed I-130 for my husband a couple of years back and it's approved now. I was checking the approval notice (from Vermont Service Center) and it seems the approved application is at VSC only (it is NOT with NVC as my husband is already here in the US). Is it always the case? I was under the impression that the approved I-130 is with NVC. Anyway, can someone please confirm the steps below are correct to apply for my husband's adjustment of status (with an approved I-130) once I become the citizen

1. Call the VSC 800# (1-800-375-5283) and ask them to upgrade the I-130
2. Wait for a day. Is this necessary though?
3. Send to VSC the following documents:
Copy of the approved I-130 (and not the original approval letter)

I was checking my documents again to get ready to file adjustment of status for my husband as soon as i become a US citizen next month (when my citizenship interview is scheduled).

I had filed I-130 for my husband a couple of years back and it's approved now. I was checking the approval notice (from Vermont Service Center) and it seems the approved application is at VSC only (it is NOT with NVC as my husband is already here in the US). Is it always the case? I was under the impression that the approved I-130 is with NVC. Anyway, can someone please confirm the steps below are correct to apply for my husband's adjustment of status (with an approved I-130) once I become the citizen

a. Copy of the approved I-130 (and not the original approval letter)
b. I-485 (AOS)
c. I-131 (Travel document)
d. I-765 (EAD)

Is that all?

madhuri_dhar said:

a. Copy of the approved I-130 (and not the original approval letter)
b. I-485 (AOS)
d. I-765 (EAD)

Is that all?

Hey I am in the same situation but my I-130 is not approved. We just have the reciept notice. So is it advisable for me to follow the same steps once my becomes citizen:

1. Call the 800# (1-800-375-5283) and ask them to upgrade the I-130
2. Send to Chicago lock box the following documents without waiting for :
a. Copy of the receipt notice of I-130 (and not the original approval letter) with a cover letter
b. I-485 (AOS)
d. I-765 (EAD)

Is it necessary to wait between step 1 and 2 i.e wait for approval of upgradation and then send rest of the forms?

Thanks

nehasharma said:
Hey I am in the same situation but my I-130 is not approved. We just have the reciept notice. So is it advisable for me to follow the same steps once my becomes citizen:

1. Call the 800# (1-800-375-5283) and ask them to upgrade the I-130
2. Send to Chicago lock box the following documents without waiting for :
a. Copy of the receipt notice of I-130 (and not the original approval letter) with a cover letter
b. I-485 (AOS)
d. I-765 (EAD)

Is it necessary to wait between step 1 and 2 i.e wait for approval of upgradation and then send rest of the forms?

Thanks

Don't forget the medical form (I693) that you get from visiting the immigration civil surgeon. Also, don't forget G325A for yourself, and perhaps including another G325A for your husband would not hurt. You should also send an updated version of I864(the financial sponsorship form).

Send a copy of the I130 form you sent and a copy of the I130 receipt --- if you have not been approved yet, there will be no approval letter to send. Note on your cover letter which service center you filed it to.

You may send all this immediately after updating the petition over the phone. Also, you do not need an approved I130 to file all this ---- just update the petition and send all the documents.

Best wishes.

Thanks a lot Pianoplayer again. Now I got clear understanding of things to do in sequence. After my husband gets citizenship we will call the 1-800 number to update the petition and without waiting for the approval file rest of forms with cover letter ( indicating where we filed I-130).

We have already filed G-325A for both of ourselves (with I-130) , so do we need to file it again?? Or attach a copy of that??

Thanks a lot !!

nehasharma said:
Thanks a lot Pianoplayer again. Now I got clear understanding of things to do in sequence. After my husband gets citizenship we will call the 1-800 number to update the petition and without waiting for the approval file rest of forms with cover letter ( indicating where we filed I-130).

We have already filed G-325A for both of ourselves (with I-130) , so do we need to file it again?? Or attach a copy of that??

Thanks a lot !!

Since you are filing a new I485, I would submit new original G325As for both you and your husband. I prefer to take the conservative approach to these things.