Unrestricted SS#

r_ka

Registered Users (C)
I called Social Security 800# today to find out what documents I need to bring to my local office to get my SS# swiched to unrestricted one. I was on the phone with them for half an hour to be told that I can not get one without restriction until I get my GC. By reading this forum I understand that many asylies were able to change their SS cards. How it was done and what did you bring to the office? Has anyone did it recently?

Thanks.

r_ka said:
I called Social Security 800# today to find out what documents I need to bring to my local office to get my SS# swiched to unrestricted one. I was on the phone with them for half an hour to be told that I can not get one without restriction until I get my GC. By reading this forum I understand that many asylies were able to change their SS cards. How it was done and what did you bring to the office? Has anyone did it recently?

Thanks.

Bring your I-94 to your local Social Security office for it. It will be helpful if you print some related info from SSN website.

r_ka said:

Thanks.

Do not waste your time with the 800 number people as they are not too informed about something as obscure as asylees.

Go to the SS official website and it says cleary that you can get a unrestricted social security card. Print that and bring it with you to your appointment. You also need to bring proof of asylum status.

R_ka,

Just go to the office. If you are in Washington D.c, asylees have had no problems. Usually they check with INS right on the spot and send u the card. Sometimes they dont even ask for anything else..Just a picture id!

My sister went and applied for her unrestricted SSN in Virginia area with no problems and had it in 1 week..! She didnt even show her asylum grant..they said they would verify themselves...