Unpaid Parking tickets and my citizenship application

dixxxie19

Hello,

I am a green card holder and I am applying for my citizenship this week. I previously had some parking tickets, i thought I have payed them all but I did not. I called the court to get a proof from them saying I paid them back then and then they said that I still have others that have not been paid yet and due to that i now have a warrant. What should I do? Should I go ahead and still file my application for citizenship with those unpaid tickets and now warrant? Is it going to affect my status? My green card will expire in Nov 2020 and I need to take action. I have never been arrested in my life, all my tickets have been parking tickets or sweeping tickets. Any advise?

Usually parking tickets or minor traffic violations will not affect citizenship. Right now the processing time of N400 is pretty long due to covid. If I were you, I would apply and say "yes" to the citation question. Then you should have enough time to get the parking tickets resolved. Once you pay the tickets plus any late fees, you can take the proof of payment to the magistrate and he will most likely recall the warrant. Keep all the records for your interview. If you want to play extra safe, try to first get the parking tickets resolved and then apply for citizenship.

Usually parking tickets or minor traffic violations will not affect citizenship. Right now the processing time of N400 is pretty long due to covid. If I were you, I would apply and say "yes" to the citation question. Then you should have enough time to get the parking tickets resolved. Once you pay the tickets plus any late fees, you can take the proof of payment to the magistrate and he will most likely recall the warrant. Keep all the records for your interview. If you want to play extra safe, try to first get the parking tickets resolved and then apply for citizenship.
Thank you for your advise. I would like to just send it since it will expire soon. Hopefully I will be able to get the tickets paid, It look like I have to go to court but the sessions are paused there due to COVID