Unique situation, please advice

WonderingTT

Good afternoon everyone, I am hoping someone can help with information that perhaps I am missing.

We are a family of 5 (father, mother, two children under the age of 18 and an adult son over the age of 21). We are all living outside the US. Our oldest is a US citizen who plans to go and live in the US and sponsor us. The problem is that our two younger children are not US citizens, so if our oldest son sponsor us, it is my understanding that our two children do not qualify as derivatives because we will be sponsored under the immediate relative category. The only alternative we were informed of, is through our son sponsoring one of us (the parents) and when that parent becomes a permanent resident then they can sponsor the other spouse and the children automatically will be included.

Of course, this means the family will be separated for years and this is a concern for all of us. Is this the only way that can be done? Is there a shorter waiting time IF there is no choice but to separate the family? Thank you kindly in advance.