Unemployment

Rhino

Hello everyone,
Question, I have applied for my 485 more then 180 days back, infact its been more then an year (Texas Work Commission).
At this time, I have lost my job. Can I apply for unemployment at this time, without effecting my application. I have Alien number assigned as well. I know at the time of stamping, I need to prove that I'm working under the same job discription.
Has anyone done it? Are you legally allowed to do it?
Sincerely

Originally posted by Rhino
Hello everyone,
Question, I have applied for my 485 more then 180 days back, infact its been more then an year (Texas Work Commission).
At this time, I have lost my job. Can I apply for unemployment at this time, without effecting my application. I have Alien number assigned as well. I know at the time of stamping, I need to prove that I'm working under the same job discription.
Has anyone done it? Are you legally allowed to do it?
Sincerely

You will probably hear otherwise, but in my opinion ( not a professional opinion!) you can legally claim Unemployment insurance since UI is paid from an insurance fund. The premiums for this fund are paid by you and you employer. claiming UI alone will not be a disqualification for GC but if you do not have a job at time of GC approval or if an RFE is issued, you could be in some trouble.
Try to get a job ASAP and since >180days have passed since you applied I-485, you are covered under AC21. I hope you have EAD.

Not advisable without grren card

It is not advisable to claim unemployment benefits when you don't have the green card on hand yet. I know there has been a lot of discussion about this issue in this forum and the general consensus is that the GC can be denied because legally, you should not become a PUBLIC CHARGE before you get GC.

Re: Not advisable without grren card

Originally posted by VenkateshAiyar
It is not advisable to claim unemployment benefits when you don't have the green card on hand yet. I know there has been a lot of discussion about this issue in this forum and the general consensus is that the GC can be denied because legally, you should not become a PUBLIC CHARGE before you get GC.

Claiming unemployment insurance is NOT BECOMING A PUBLIC CHARGE. Public charge is what is paid by US government (and ultimately by US taxpayers). UI is not paid by government or by taxpayers' money. UI is paid by an insurance fund into which both you and your employer pay premium.
Claiming UI does not by itself constitute a cause for denial of GC.