Unemployment benefits after EAD before GC

rajeshfromLA

Registered Users (C)
My company might be laying me off very soon. Now, I had my AOS last month but am stuck in the namecheck quicksand. I already have my EAD and have been working using it.

Now, if I get laid off, can I apply for unemployment? Has anyone done it in the past?

Thanks

rajeshfromLA said:
My company might be laying me off very soon. Now, I had my AOS last month but am stuck in the namecheck quicksand. I already have my EAD and have been working using it.

Now, if I get laid off, can I apply for unemployment? Has anyone done it in the past?

Thanks

I understand that you are self employed? In this case, you will not get any severance package if you are laid-off. Also, you wont get any un-employment benefits unless you have paid for unemployment insurance. Employers usually pay Federal and State unemployment tax for all their employees.

Would collecting unemployment be considered as being a public charge? Technically it should not be, since it's an insurance that you pay into? Just wanting to know for future reference.

If you are referring to this (see below) then you cannot apply for it.
http://workforcesecurity.doleta.gov/unemploy/uifactsheet.asp

Now, I haven't read about private unemployment insurance in the US (should be but apparently...) but you can make a search, but normally since is something that is control by the State and the Feds I really don't know. If you have one of those (private unemployment insurance) then you can apply since is private and is not funded neither by State nor Federal funds.

Okay, from the Department of State, but you can check out:

Means Tested Public Benefits

Can the applicant use government assistance or public benefits?

If the sponsored immigrant uses federal means tested public benefits, the sponsor is responsible for repaying the cost of the benefits.

What are federal means tested public benefits?

Federal means tested public benefits are the following:

Food stamps
Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
Medicaid
Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)
State Child Health Insurance Program (CHIP)
What assistance programs are not considered means tested public benefit programs?

The following types of assistance are not considered means tested public benefits and do not have to be repaid.

Emergency Medicaid
School lunches
Immunizations and treatment for communicable diseases
Student assistance to attend colleges and institutions of higher learning
Some kinds of foster care or adoption assistance
Job training programs
Head start
Short-term, non-cash emergency relief

What you can do is to verify that with your community aid program or with the office of the Department of Labor in your area.

Good luck,

rajeshfromLA said:
Yes - this is what I am talking about.

http://workforcesecurity.doleta.gov/unemploy/uifactsheet.asp

But, it does not state that you need be a permanenet resident or citizen to get benefits. As long as you are legally i the country, I think a person should be eligible to apply for these benefits.

okay, lets get this clear.

If you are a permanent citizen, you can stay in this US even if you dont have a job and collect unemployment benefits if you are eligible.

If you are on a legal status like H-1 or OPT or L-1 and dont have a job, you can't stay in the US as you will be accruing illegal presence. Your legal status is tied to your job, and if you dont have a job, forget about unemployment compensation. Not sure how Pending AOS status and unemployment works.

This means unemployment compensation benefits can be utilized by permanent and citizens. My opinion.