Unable to get US passport

suze Daniel

Hello everyone,

So, I derived citizenship from my father, but we are no longer in contact since 2021. I turn 22 this year and needed to get my certificate because my green card is expiring soon, I tried filing the n600, however, they asked for my father’s documents which I did not have.Thus,I filed the FOIA and I was able to get majority of the documents that I needed including a copy of his certificate of citizenship. Although I got all these documents it is not enough for me to take the risk for n600 because I am still missing some documents, it’s $1300 and I can only file it once. Some people said in my case the only thing I can do is get a lawyer( but that’s way out of my budget right now), So I decided to get my passport instead. I gathered all documents they asked for and went to the post office, they did not take my application because the certificate (my father’s certificate of citizenship) is just a copy and they said they needed the original document ( I don’t know why, because I would assume what they need on the certificate is the number to confirm it, so why is the original document relevant in this case when the copy is the exact same thing). Even after I explained my situation to them and tell them my father would never give it to me, they still refused and now I don’t know what to do.

I was wondering if anyone here could help with some advice.

Thank you!

and I can only file it once.
Technically true but effectively false as you can always "file it again" by filing a Motion to Reopen with new evidence. Suppose someone was not a citizen and mistakenly filed N-600, and then was correctly denied. Later they became a derived citizen; they can't file N-600 again but can file I-290B to reopen the N-600 because there is no reason why they can't get a certificate now that they are actually a citizen. Same with if you are denied for having insufficient evidence; you should be able to reopen it later if you get more evidence.