Umm.. Im lost, got some questions

Mr Mef

Registered Users (C)
Sorry if this is the wrong section to post this but i seem to be a little lost here.

Ok so i married a person who came to the US with a tourist VISA but she overstayed. Now im wondering how do we go about getting her a Green Card or making it legal for her to go back to her country and still be able to re-enter the US? I was told i first need to apply for her to get a work permit & social security card then we would be able to apply for a Creen Card.

Does anyone know if these are the steps and maybe have some more detail info on the process? Ohh before i forget i am a US Citizen.

MR Mef

If she overstayed her I-94 and you are a USC you can fill the forms I-130, I-485 and I-765. The cost to fill the forms is on the instructions of the forms. For the form I-130 you have to fill out because you will be her sponsor and the forms I-485 and I-765 she have to fill out. After you have done all that you need to send them to the lockbox adress that is for you district. But make sure that you send in all documents that are requird. You also have to have her medical done that is form I-694. Depends on where you live a medical can run from $ 125 to $ 600. but only if you have all forms fill out and sign you can send them to the lockbox. you need to fill them concurrently. Because if don't do that it will delay your case. You can find all does forms on the USCIS website.

Before I forget don't let her leave the US before she get her GC because if she does she can not come back because she overstayed.

I hope this help you out.
Good luck

Go through http://boards.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=188386&page=1&pp=15. Read the covering letter attached at the bottom of the first post. This gives the documents you need to send.
You may also refer to http://www.immihelp.com/forms/immigration.html. It gives you the sample forms and fillable forms.However check with the USCIS site to verify if the forms are updated.
After you file for her ASAP and as long as she stays in US you have nothing to fear.Processing time from filing I-130.I-485 to Interview date ( & receiving SSN) would be around 5 months.