UK Spouse of Cuban Parolee in US on Visa Waiver - Help Please

SANTAMAZ

Hello All, I am so glad to have found this site and happy to see that there is so much information available for people who are struggling with very stressful immigration issues. I definitely intend to use an immigration lawyer with my issue but want to be as informed as possible to make the most of the initial consultation session.

My husband and I were married in Cuba in May 2011. We lived in Cuba and then once my husband obtained his Spouse Visa for the UK he joined me there in January 2012. We decided to move to the US earlier this year. My husband arrived in February claiming Political Asylum which was granted and he was immediately given a Parole. He is now awaiting his work permit. I followed him out here in March.

I am here on Visa Waiver and this runs out in June. I have been advised that I am eligible to adjust my status under the Cuban Adjustment Act (CAA) and can do so at the same time as my husband. However we must have been in the USA continuously for 1 year and 1 day before we can submit the I-485. For my husband this is not a problem because he is a registered alien. However my VW will run out next month. Is there any official registration for a person in my situation? I don't want to be separated from my husband.

Can anyone offer any advice as to what happens to me once my VW runs out? I have been told that I should simply just overstay but I don't want to become an illegal immigrant although I have been told any overstay would automatically be waived under the CAA. Can anyone give me further information about this? By the way I would not need to work while I am here but I would want to drive. However without a SSN don't think I can get a US Drivers License.

Thanks in advance for any help that might be offered. SANTAMAZ