Typical time for recieving card after approval?

Raashi

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I got an approval for my I-485 application in my interview yesterday. I need to travel out of the country in a week's time. I went to my local service center for stamping my passport,... but they refused to do that.

What is the typical wait time people have had between Approval in interview and Arrival of the physical card?

Thanks,
Meenakshi

If you were interviewed at a local office, they will have to send paperwork back to the service center, and it might take 1 or 2 months to get the card. They generally won't give you an I-551 stamp unless you have been waiting for at least a month.

Do you have advance parole? You can use it to re-enter the US for a short period of time after approval, if you don't have the card yet. I'm not sure for how long, but I know of it being used 1 month after approval. But when you use the Advance Parole, be prepared to spend some extra time at the airport, because they will see in the system that your GC was approved*, and they'll have you do some extra processing at secondary inspection.

*Because of that extra paperwork I mentioned above, it is possible that your GC won't yet be in the system when you return. So just show the Advance Parole, without saying that your GC was approved, and let them look at the system and determine the next steps.

Last edited by a moderator: