Types of visa

LaurenStephanie

Hello,

I live in England, currently studying at degree level. I will finish this in 2016. When I've finished, me and 2 friends want to travel the United States. 6 months would be great, but anytime up to a year is good too.

I understand that the United Kingdom falls under the Visa Waiver Program, and I would therefore not need a visa for a stay up to 90 days. However, from what I stated above, I would want to stay longer.

I also understand, for this, I would need to apply for a B2 visa, which means I can visit the US as long as I am only visiting as a tourist, or visiting family/friends. By applying for this visa, I understand that I cannot legally work in the US, or study in the US, or live legally in the US.

This is fine for me, as all we want to do is travel - Just rent a car and have a fun extended holiday. I have no intention of living in the US, I am very happy living in England. I have no family or friends in the US, nor do I have a partner/fiancee/spouse in the US.

However, what I don't understand is the length of time I am allowed in the US with a B2 visa. I've heard it is 180 days - is this correct? Can this be extended? If so, what are the fees for this, and how do I apply for an extension.

I do understand, though, that if I am denied a B2 visa, I will not be able to travel under the Visa Waiver Program.

I have to read on other sites/pages that it is difficult to obtain a B2 visa. When I asked somewhere else, I was told that I would 'most like be denied a visa for just travelling around'. I do not understand. A B2 visa is for travelling, which is all I intend to do, why would this be a problem?

As I am only 20 (I'll be 23 by the time I travel), I have also read that younger people are normally denied a visa. I understand they may suspect me of attempting to work out there, but I really have no intention. I've already begun saving money for this trip, and would not wish to go if I can't afford it myself. If, for any reason, I find myself short on money too early, I will buy an early flight ticket home.

Please understand that I would never want to work legally or illegally in the US. I'm going there for an extended holiday, and finding a job does not fall in to my plan. All I want to do is go on a road trip, shop, eat, sleep, visit some theme parks, drink a few cocktails, then fly home.

If anybody can give me any more information about Visa Waiver Program or B2 Visa, this would be very much appreciated. On the 'official' websites, it just feels as if some information about them is missing.

Thank you to all responses in advance.