Type of visa for Physician?

diegowarrior

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I'm sorry if this has been answered many times before but I really don't know where to look for it.

The question is:
I have a friend who is a physician and has a degree from his home country and would like to come and work in the US. What kind of visa and requirements have to be fulfilled?, I heard about H1 visa and that he has to pass some test to get a License in this state (Utah). Also I heard that there is a J1 category but only for people under 40 (he is 39, almost 40) (Is this true?). Also his wife is a Nurse, she will come with him as well.

Also does he have to get a job before applying for the visa?, if so is there a website you might know where they post physician jobs for foreign professionals?

I don't know if it helps but he's been here a couple of times several years ago in F1 status learning English (never overstayed). Also worked as a voluntary translating in a hospital.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Last edited by a moderator:
The visa commonly used by foreign national physicians is the J-1 temporary nonimmigrant visa for participants in the exchange visitor program. As a public diplomacy initiative of the U.S. State Department, the Exchange Visitor Program was established to strengthen international exchange and mutual understanding between the peoples of the United States and other nations.