Twins applying for C09 AOS – very similar cases – two different interview experiences

lunajuna

Registered Users (C)
My husband and his twin brother came to US as visitors and overstayed. His twin married in January 2005 and my husband and me in April 2005. We both sent in AOS applications in early April 2006.

Our interviews were scheduled for the same day, one hour apart. Our cases are almost identical. Both petitioners are US citizens, both couples have a child together, both couples live together, same DO, both cases required a joint sponsor, ect. However, there is one difference. I have never been married however my sister-in-law was previously married and has a child with her ex-husband.

Their interview experience:
The interviewer was very cold. Their joint sponsor was the petitioner’s sister. The interviewer asked how many children the joint sponsor had. When my sister-in-law replied, the interviewer told her she wasn’t talking to her but her husband. When the interviewer got to the I-94, she explained to them that my brother-in-law (my husband’s twin) had overstayed, therefore would have to pay a penalty fee before he would be approved. They had forgotten to make copies of their marriage certificate, their child’s birth certificate, the joint sponsor’s tax return and her divorce decree. The interviewer said she would be able to make copies but that she would prepare a list of documents they were missing. They were asked to wait in the lobby while she did this. When she called then back, she told them after speaking to her supervisor, they would need time to review his case. She said she could not make copies for them and kept their originals.

Our interview experience:
While my sister-in-law and brother-in-law were waiting in the lobby, we showed up. They shared their experience and I became nervous because I was expecting things to run smoothly. I was afraid we would get the same interviewer as our cases were very similar and our appointments one hour after another. When I meet our interviewer, I sense she was very friendly. We sat down after being sworn in and she asked us for our ID and other documents. She reviewed our paperwork and made a few corrections. She asked to see originals of the documents we submitted. She asked us for supporting documents to prove our marriage was legitimate. We provide our son’s birth certificate, photos from our wedding and bank statements. Since we lived with our in-laws we did not have a lease or any other bills in our name. We also did not make copies of our documents. I told it was fine, she could keep our originals (as they could be replaced). She said it was fine, their copier worked great. She even make copies of our photos even after I told her we had another set at home. After a few more questions, she explained to us about conditional permanent residency and had both signed a form. She said it we would receive an approval letter shortly for both the AOS and Petition for Alien Relative and that was it.

I think our experiences goes to show that sometimes no matter how prepared you are, luck can take you a long way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi!
This is very interesting!
Thank you for sharing your experience. Congratulations to you and Good Luck to your -in-laws!
It’s unfortunate they made them wait for a review, but they should be OK after all.