Trinidad to India Via UK. Do I need DATV Visa?

amitpatel316

Hello guys,

I am an Indian Citizen. I came to US on F1 Visa which is yet not expired. My employer did my H1B and I was supposed to go to Trinidad for business visit. Now I cannot go back to USA anymore as I have to get my H1B Visa stamped.

I am trying to find flying routes that will go from Trinidad to India NOT VIA USA. Two options that I see is I have to fly through UK(London) or Canada(Toronto) and get my connecting flight(Hopefully its all the way thru checked in) from there.

My questions are:

1) If I fly through UK, and have to catch my connecting flight from there to India, do I need to have a DATV visa for that purposes? I have Valid F1 Visa stamping on my passport and I know that there is visa exception if I have a valid US Visa then I donot need to have a visitor visa but I am not flying from USA. I am flying from Trinidad to India via UK with Valid F1 Visa.

2) Does anyone know of a known itinerary like this?

Please help me out here as I feel stuck.

Thanks,

Amit.

As long as you have *a* valid US visa in your passport, you don't need DATV if your travel is from/to US. If you are planning to fly directly from Trinidad, you might need DATV. See this note at http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas-immigration/transitthroughtheuk/visa-transit-airside/:

If you are a national of a country covered by the DATV system, you may be able to transit the UK airside without a visa. To qualify for this exemption:

you must arrive and depart by air; and
your onward flight must be confirmed, and must depart within 24 hours; and
you have proper documentation for your destination, including a visa if necessary.
Additionally, you must hold:

1) a valid entry visa for Australia, Canada, New Zealand or the USA, and a valid airline ticket for travel via the UK, as part of a journey to or from one of those countries; or
2) a valid airline ticket for travel via the UK as part of a journey from Australia, Canada, New Zealand or the USA, if you are transiting the UK no more than 6 months after the date when you last entered Australia, Canada, New Zealand or the USA with a valid entry visa for that country;

Read item 2 carefully to see if it applies to you.