Travelling with I-551 stamp in the passport

Peter74

Registered Users (C)
Hi Friends,

I got my I-485 approved last week and need to travel to India next month (via Singapore). I don't think I will be getting the plastic card at the time of travel.
Few questions.
1. In one other thread it was mentioned that we need to carry the original I-485 approval notice. In my case it was taken back by the Immigration officer at the time of stamping. Do we need this for travel ?
2. Heard that some airlines doesn't accept the stamp, as valid entry permit.
Any one with recent travel has any experience on this matter.
3. Finally we need reentry-permit only if we are staying outside for US for more than an year right ?

Thanks for the feedback.
PRT

Two recent trips

Have had two recent trips holding my stamped passport only - No need for anything else. United, American recognized stamp

- Both trips to Mexico City
- One entering LA and the other San Francisco

In both cases I went through secondary check. Issue is that anyone can fake this basic stamp as mentioned by officers. Takes longer than with H1_B so I complained both times and INS was apologetic, however, it will take you longer since you go to secondary with F-1 Holders and ship personnel. Do mention that you have green card - they gave me priority in San Fran

Came back into the U.S. twice using the I-551 stamp on the passport only; once through the U.S. POE in the Vancouver Int'l Airport; the other time through the Sea-Tac Airport. Neither time did I get into any trouble. The officers looked at my stamp and recognised it as the GC right away.