Travelling to India on Expired Passport

neeraj12345

Hi,

My Indian passport is due to expire in Dec. 2008 and I had applied for a renewal. But the NY consulate says that I have some clearance issue and they had sent some paperwork to India. Once they get a clearance back then only they will renew my passport. I got the process done from india and they already sent the clearance couple of weeks back but here in NY, they say that they have not recieved any clearance. In the consulate itself I overheard from some people that they will only do it upon recieving monetory favours. Now I am not sure whether they will do it or not.
I have a valid H1B (untill 2010) and probably I have to visit India during Feb. 2009.
Just wanted to know that in case they don't renew the passport from here, can I travel to India on my expired passport in Feb. 2009. Then I am planning to get it renewed from India and then come back to US.
Please advise.

Thanks,
Neeraj

Sorry, I don't have a good answer to your situation. But I don't believe it's ever a good idea to travel with an expired passport - certainly not advisable.
In the consulate itself I overheard from some people that they will only do it upon recieving monetory favours.
Wow!