Travelling to Germany

insfan

Registered Users (C)
I have not yet received the plastic card, but I do have a stamped passport. I am an Indian national.
I need to travel to Germany on business before 28th April this year. I looked at the German website for visa application process. It says that I need to send them the original green card which I don't have yet.
Anybody has been in this type of situation? Any suggestions?

Thanks

I would suggest sending a letter explaining that you have yet to receive tha actual card. Do mention that it is the equivalent of an actual GC. They will have your passport for the visa stamp, so they can see it for themselves as well. Also include a current employment letter and pay stub to show that you are not likely to leave the US in the near term for good. I am sure you wont have any problems. Better yet, call the nearest consulate and find out..

Hi Insfan

You can include a copy of the I-485 approval notice and mention what it stands for. As for the stamp, when my passport was stamped, it was smudged and unclear, and it was not very informative, so supporting documentation is key. Also, you can talk to the consulate people before you send out your documents. ( my personal opinion is that your german visa should be atleast as easy or easier than getting a german visa from India, and from what
I read, that is not a problem).

jj-jet

I need to travel to Germany on business before 28th April this year. I looked at the German website for visa application process. It says that I need to send them the original green card which I don't have yet.

I called the German consulate yesterday. She said I 551 stamp would work.
Mailed the application with the original passport this morning.
Kind of worried about sending the original passport, but I had no other option. Shall keep you guys posted.
Thanks

How much did the visa cost and how long is it valid?
Also does it allow you to travel to other EU countries excluding UK( I know that you have to get a separate visa for them).

I happened to travel to France last week with just passport stamping I 551. Being in chicago I could go to French counulate personally and get Schengen visa on spot. They are very understanding when you explain. But you need to go to the first Schengen country you are visiting for visa. If they cannot do it on spot they will send your PP via mail. Hope this helps expecting similar treatment with Germans.

I am not sure about Germany, but I will be travelling to Spain and Italy (at two different times) this summer and I also do not have the plastic card yet.

I just got an Italian visa and then a Spanish visa: in both instances a passport stamp indicating that I am a permanent resident was sufficient. This is despite the fact that at their websites both the Spanish and the Italian consulates say that they require an actual plastic card at the time of visa application.

Apparently the consulates of these (and probably other European) countries know about the plastic card delays and they do recognize the validity of the passport stamps.