Travelling through Singapore??-Be Aware of Changes

bbbishop

Registered Users (C)
One of my friends went to India via Singapore by CatheyPacific Airlines. He is on H1 Visa. He was not allowed to go out of the airport, because he didn't have the transit visa. Earlier, they used to issue one in the airport itself, but the PRACTICE HAS CHANGED NOW. They are no longer issuing them at the airport. If anyone, with H1 visa, wants to leave the airport, they need to obtain the transit visa through Singapore Counsilate in US itself.

If you don't want to go out of the airport, you are fine with H1 Visa.

I understand from him that, people with US Green card or citizens of US, can go out of airport without any problems or additional documentation.

Sreenivas

Singapore is one country where they keep changing rules quite often. Particularly related to immigration. Probably the reason for being an ultra modern country in the world. BTW, their permanent resident application processing time is only 3 months!!!

5 years ago, I remember going out of Changi airport when I didn't have any Singapore visa. We got one upon arrival. We were on our way to JFK using H1-B.

Good to know the change. We were planning to do the same this year duing our India trip.