Travelling on AP

biglook

Registered Users (C)
Senior Memebers

I'm planning to travel on AP . Do I need to carry any documents other than AP, EAD and passport . Any bad exp with AP travel recently

Any suggestions greatly Appreciated ...

Travel on AP

My wife returned with AP last week; since it's her first time to use AP she was transferred to another room for further clearance.
Everything went fine; she was just asked some silly questions like how long she's out of the country, her husband's job etc and then they gave her a new I-94 and stamped her passport.

The I-94 says 'Paroled until April 2005'

Oops ... I forgot

The docs required in addition to the AP itself is the original copy of I-485 (my atty recommends this, it may or may not be needed)

I've used the AP more than 5 time and have never been asked for anything other than 3 copies of the AP, the EAD, and passport.

If it gives you peace of mind, go ahead and carry the 485 receipt, but it's not required. Most times, they do ask you to proceed to Secondary Inspection for processing but that doesn't entail anything more than waiting 10 minutes while they check your details.

hi,

sinting is correct we need the orginal I485 Receipt notice inorder to use AP. My attorney also mentioed the same. He asked me show both the AP and H1 visa when entering back into the country.

I think you need the following now inorder to travel using AP

1. AP document
2. EAD
3. I485 original receipt notice
4. Passport

if there is any thing else please post. thanks

EAD

I don't think EAD is required; my wife's EAD expired a while back and she hasn't gotten it extended yet.

Thanks Sinting, M2002, Pingu... for all suggestions , Now I'm confident what documents to carry But every body said 485 original receipt I'm not sure I have that , It is either with employer or Attorney Do you think this pose problems?

Any suggestions Please?

biglook:

I485 recept notice will be with your attorney ask him for the orignial he will send it to u. Also mention that you need that inorder to use for travel with AP. 485 Receipt notice is your property so you will get it without any problems from the lawyer.

Regards
M2002

I just came back using AP myself last week. They did ask me to go to another room. The only question they asked there was who sponsored my I-485. They didn't ask for 485 receipt or EAD. My attorney suggested that I bring I-485, EAD, employment letter with me, and of course, his phone number just in case. And be humble to the officers at the customs no matter what they ask.
Don't bring back too much luggage even if you got nothing to declare. I saw a lot of people got searched because of that.
Have a nice trip!

Hi,

I just returned using AP for the 1st time. They just took the 3 copies of the AP. They did not ask for anything. They were very polite and just stamped and I entered. They did not ask for anythingelse.

Have fun.

how many AP copies do we need to carry?

Does anyone know for sure how many APs do we need to carry when reenter? I thought each AP is good for one entry. Then why do we need to carry all three copies of them?

I and my wife recently came back on AP.
I gave them 1 AP. No 485 receipts or anything asked. Search for my post will get detailed idea as what they asked and what I told.

For my wife they asked to show alternate form of Photo ID given by any govt agency like Driver's license, EAD etc. She showed EAD

Folks,
A question on I-94 and AP.

My spouse will be travelling out of country in May 2004 and come back on 3rd, July 2004. Here AP is valid till 14th July 2004.

At the port of entry, what date they will stamp in the new I-94. Will they stamp the end date of AP (which is 14th July 2004) or some other date?

Thanks

GC_by_2003:

You will get 1 year from the date of entry. your I94 will say paroled until so and so date.

hope this helps.

Regards
M2002

Originally posted by m2002
GC_by_2003:

You will get 1 year from the date of entry. your I94 will say paroled until so and so date.

hope this helps.

Regards
M2002
Caveat: It does not mean that the validity of the AP has been extended for a year. You will still have to apply for a new AP to travel after that 14th July 04.

my personal experience told me that just AP + passport. I re-entered in March 2003 using only AP+Passport from Boston Logan airport. They took me to a seperate place, but never asked for any question. They took all 3 copies of AP, after 15-20 min, came back with stamps on AP and passport. I personally believe this really depends on who was reviewing your case at the port. Some knows the law, some may asks stupid question/requests.