Travelling on AP

dumbo1974

Registered Users (C)
Hello - Quick question:

1>Is there anyone who has travelled to India via Frankfurt using their AP document?
2>Did you get a transit visa from the German embassy?
3>Also I have a H-1 visa - though not stamped on Passport - will I still need a transit visa?

Thanks so much for your assistance.

Please search

This question has been answered many times in the past.

Please search for 'sri4gc', click on 'transit visa question', you will find all the answers.

Originally posted by dumbo1974
Hello - Quick question:

1>Is there anyone who has travelled to India via Frankfurt using their AP document?
2>Did you get a transit visa from the German embassy?
3>Also I have a H-1 visa - though not stamped on Passport - will I still need a transit visa?

Thanks so much for your assistance.

german embassy will tell you, you need
one. Though when I got one for my wife, nobody
bothered to check the transit visa. Neither while checking
in at SFO, nor at frankfurt. So yeah it is a nice starategy
for wasting a couple of days and 20 dollars. If you want
to avoid the hassle of transit visa, why not travel
via some asian airline (like cathy, singapore etc). Also
getting schengen visa by french embassy is much more pleasent
experience compared to german embassy.

Thanks justchecking

Actually I already got the ticket on lufthansa - the reason being shortest flight time - at the time of getting the ticket -- was not aware of transit visa requirement

I am not in San Francisco - and will have to mail my application - any idea how long this would take? - I travel in approx two weeks.

Thanks.

Mailing is not always a good idea, when I did that for my Canadian visa, we had to go back and forth a few times, because the consulate perceived certain documents as missing etc. It took almost two weeks to get my document in hand.

If time is of constraint then you might want to go overnight all the way and follow it up with a couple of phone calls, you should get it inside 2 weeks.

Thanks for your response 140_takes_4ever - I have a valid H1 visa - though not stamped - and an AP document - do I still really need an airport transit visa?

Did they check yours when you travelled?

Thanks for your help with this.

Unfortunately if you don't have a valid H1 visa stamped in your passport, you might need the transit visa. :(

I usually travel via Asia, and hence have never needed a visa, but I do have a valid H1 visa in my passport nonetheless as well as a valid Schengen visa that I got for my trip to France.

My experience with the French and Swiss consulate was absolutely terrific, 20 mins to get the visa stamped in my passport at the French consulate and about 40 mins at the Swiss consulate.

Though I have heard the German consulate is a pain in the ass! :( It takes 2 odd days. :( Like I said earlier, use overnight FedEx to get your papers to them, as well as enclose a pre-paid overnight FedEx package to enable them to send you passport back. Call them in the midst to make sure they don't need any further documents.

Good luck! I hope you can travel without any problems.

thanks!

thanks 140_takes_4ever - I guess the only other question I had is - I last entered the US after a short vacation in Dec 2002 - using my previous AP - my I-94 was stamped as 'Paroled until Dec 2003'

Will that be an issue since now it is March 2004?

Thanks.

Absolutely not! Your I-94 stamp is dependent on your AP expiration date, but your legal status is derived from your pending AOS!

Have a good trip! :)