Travelling after PR stamp??

gcwait4ever

Registered Users (C)
My RD - 04/08/02
Approved - 06/02/04 (AC21 Portability case)

After we get PR stamping in the passport, do we need Advance Parole to travel?
I am planning to go to India for a visit, do I need Advance Parole to travel, although I have PR stamping in my passport?

Thanks,
gcwait4ever

Once your passport is stamped you do not need anything else. BTW, you should give all AP documents to the USCIS officer once your passport is stamped. Have a nice trip,

Your passport stamping is equivalent to your plastic GC card. You don't need any additional documents for re-entry. However, as this just a temporary stamp on passport, POE officer can ask for seconadary checking - as they do for AP people.

I just traveled back to US by PR stamp. The officer did check the database on top of the stamp, but It just took a few mins.

Thanks for the response

Normally how long does it take for stamping at Chicago? Do they ask any questions?

Do we need to carry any additional documents when travelling with PR stamp in passport.

Chicago stamping experience

Today I had my passport stamped @ Chicago office at about 7.50 AM. I went and stood in the line @ 6.40 AM. The line was not that big. Around 30-35 people were ahead of me. They let us in at 7.00 AM. After getting inside, each person gets a ticket with a number and is asked to wait in the hall.

For passport stamping, the ticket number starts with 601. Mine was 603, but it took about 20 minutes for my turn. The I.O. asked for the approval letter, passport and one form of ID. He took my EAD and kept it, stamped the passport and advised that when I am travalling I must carry the approval letter as well. He gave the reason for carrying the approval letter being the systems at some airports are not updated and they may not have the records of my I-485 approval.

I had my AP as well but he did not ask it back. No photograph was required either. The IO took about 2-3 minutes in the process and I was on my way to work.

Last edited by a moderator:
stamping

wamu,

Did you go with your original approval notice or duplicate. I thought we do need to submit photos (which will be used for the green card). I will be going for my stamping in 1 or 2 days.
What are your RD and Approval dates?

gcwait4ever

wamu, I was also here this morning in Chicago office. The I.O. took my approval letter. SO how can I bring the letter with me?

Strange are the ways of USCIS

Isn't it funny that each IO has his or her own way of doing things and telling whatever their understanding is. The IO gave my approval letter back and specifically asked to carry it while travelling.

I did carry a pair of photos with me but the IO never asked for it. He did not ask for my AP either. Just took my EAD, stamped the pssport, gave me the above noted statement about carrying the approval letter and that was it.

What I gathered from earlier postings that the approval letter is not required if you have stamp in the passport.

My RD- June 2001
Approval- May 2005

However, if you plan to stay for an extended period of time, say more than 6 months, then you need a reentry permit. I think this rule is still in place.