Traveling With Computer Hardware

Bicho83

Hello,

I am an international student that just recently finished the OPT (June 3rd), and graduated in Information Systems. I am going back to my country (Venezuela) around July 26 or so.

I wanted to take with me a lot of electronics, and I just want to know before hand that it's going to be ok when I go back to my country in airplane.

The products include:

- 2 motherboards
- 4 video cards
- 2 Sound cards
- About 2 hard drives and like 4 modules of memory Ram
- 2 Headphones
- 1 Digital Camera
- Computer Cooling Fans
- About 2 CPU Processors
- 1 LCD Monitor (wrapped in plastic bubbles)

I am planning on putting all that in a large Suitcase, I did my research and I know that the suitcase cannot be longer than 62 linear inches and cannot weight more than 50 lbs.

I am also planning on taking 2 suitcases with me, but I heard that for South America I can only bring 1 suitcase, and pay 25$ fee for the 2nd one. I am also going to bring a backpack on me that's going to have my laptop. I graduated from Information Systems and electronic stuff in South America is like 100% more expensive.

The 2nd suitcase I would put my clothing and misc. stuff.

Please advise,

Thanks...

It depends on the way you carry them... these are large amounts and noticeable, you eill pay customs for them so take the small worthy things only to avoid customs + remove all packing

- 2 motherboards: no, too big and obvious

- 4 video cards: are you going to open a PC center there? take one

- 2 Sound cards: If you really don't like the built in sound cards in motherboards then take 1

- About 2 hard drives and like 4 modules of memory Ram: take 1 hard disk, rams are cheap every where in the world.

- 2 Headphones: are you serious? :confused: OK take 1

- 1 Digital Camera: Sure, why not !

- Computer Cooling Fans :eek:

- About 2 CPU Processors: in the pocket of a jacket

- 1 LCD Monitor (wrapped in plastic bubbles): what if it scratched or broke? don't take chances + you will pay customs for this one for sure.

:):) I feel myself like a smuggler :D:D

Wouldn't this be a question of what your home country might charge you for customs? The US doesn't care unless these are special military sound boards or something. I used to trek back to Canada with much more computer junk, but still nothing that would be above my Canadian customs fee limits. The US has no regulations relating to how many motherboards you can go to South America with.

Sure, US will not care, customs might be paid in the destination country "Venezuela in Bicho83 case"

when searching bags in the sonar machine, the officer might ask to search the bag manually if a lot of equipments were found and you will be questioned about them "in matter of customs only"

can you explain having 2 motherboards or LCD monitor in your bag? they might be taken if customs not paid